• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Since Plesk 18 my mail app does not send push notifications (Dovecot, IMAP)

King555

Regular Pleskian
I'm not really sure whether this is really a Plesk problem. Maybe it's a Dovecot or Ubuntu problem. Here is the problem description:

I have an Android phone (Samsung) with the mail app "K-9 mail". I have configured 7 mail accounts in push mode.

A few weeks ago I used Plesk 17.8/Debian 8 with Dovecot and the push notifications on my phone when new mails arrived worked perfectly – for two years!

Meanwhile I use Plesk 18/Ubuntu 18 (still with Dovecot) and the push notifications do not work anymore.

I did not change any settings in the app or the phone. But I re-checked all relevant settings in K-9 mail and in the battery settings of the phone (concerning energy saving of the mail app). Everything like before and correct. The push function stopped working exactly after changing the Plesk version (well, and also the whole server including the OS).

The mail server settings within Plesk are the same as before.

What could be wrong? I do not see any errors or warnings in the maillog which could be relevant. Also manual retrieving of mails via IMAP (with the app) does work without problems and also the automatic retrieval (but not the push mode).

Any ideas? What's the difference in Dovecot between Plesk 17.8 and 18?

Try other mail app and see if push work there, as far as I can see between 17.8 and 18 only the version was updated.

Thanks.

I just tested "FairEmail" and there it works. So the problem seems to be K-9 mail (although it works in general, because 2 of 7 mail accounts are not on my server and there push notifications work).

I will do some more research.

It turned out that it was only a K-9 mail problem. I deleted all app data (config, cache) and then re-imported my previously exported settings. Now push notifications work again!

In the first post I said that I did not change any configuration in K-9 mail. But I changed exactly one thing: the hostname for the mail server.

Maybe internally K-9 mail did not recognize this or something was cached. Maybe a certificate problem. I don't know and probably will never know. It works again and that's enough for me. ;)

Thanks!

Back