• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Single wildcard SSL certificate for multiple clients

J

JelleH

Is it possible to create a single wildcard SSL certificate for multiple clients?

All my clients have a subdomain like clientA.domain.com, clientB.domain.com. I enter the domain + the subdomain as the domain when i create the clients.

Is it possible to create the wildcard certificate one time so i can "share" it with the client accounts?

So i can update it in the future or replace it in one spot instead of having to create duplicates for each client's domain.

Godaddy Ramblings

Seems as though you got sold a SSL cert from GoDaddy.com without guidance.

Contact Comodo.com for cheap SSL certs for multiple clients. Unfortunately you will have to buy multiple certs.

SSL Certs only work on a one to one basis with the exception of the Windows Server environment

Errr...

You buy a wildcard certificate for *.domain.com
Install it on domain.com
Make it the DEFAULT certificate.
Then, as long as all your clientX.domain.com domains are on the same shaed IP, it should work, because they will use the default cert unless otherwise specified. And since they are all subdomains of the main domain, with the wildcard cert in place, all should be well.

You can test it first by creating a self-signed certificate (or any certificate) and makeing it the default. If that same default certificate gets used when you visit https://clientX.domain.com (File -> Properties -> Certificate in Internet Explorer to se which cert is being used) all is well and my suggestion will work OK - I think :) (obviously you'll get an error using the self-signed one, but the point is that all you are doing is testing to see if you can do as I suggest)

Seriously though -- it should work. But please test first!

Faris.

Back