• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Site has disappeared, though still shows normal in Parallels Panel

gregzaal

New Pleskian
[Solved] Site has disappeared, though still shows normal in Parallels Panel

I keep a simple site for my art portfolio and some misc files hosted with unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk and Parallels Plesk.

Yesterday I noticed that the site and all its contents give a 404 error, and the home page shows the default page generated by Parallels Plesk Panel. However, all my files are still accessible from ftp and the Panel:

dnbSflp.jpg

The index.html file is still the same old one as it should be, yet the homepage doesn't show it.

As per the default setup, all the content of the website is in the httpdocs folder, not the root. Though I did try copying the index.html to the root and see if that worked, but it did not. I'm very inexperienced when it comes to web hosting and everything related, so I'm not sure if it's somehow user error or if I should try to contact Parallels for help (though the only sort of support info I could find is this forum)

The only thing I can think could have caused this is an annoying payment issue. I'm charged monthly on my credit card for the hosting of the site, however after the first month (before the first payment) I received an invoice stating the owed amount and that I should set up a recurring payment from paypal. I was a bit confused, but I guessed the credit card payment hadn't been set up so I setup the payment on paypal. A month later, I recieved another invoice stating that I need to pay them. I figured I must have just done a once-off payment and not a recurring one, so I set up the recurring one again. A month later I got another invoice, this time saying I had some money on credit. This was because I was now paying them double (or perhaps triple), so I looked at my recurring payments on paypal and there were two identical payments running. Naturally, I deleted the one.

Here's a history of emails I received from them - notice how the invoices are followed by multiple payment confirmations:

7OKAcez.jpg

So perhaps cancelling the one payment made them think I wanted to cancel the hosting and the site was taken offline? I don't know.

Hope someone can help :)

Last edited:
Turns out it was a little server issue on the hosting side :)

"... the server that your domain is based on was upgraded last night with a program which will remove permission problems, this had an unwanted side effect but this has now been resolved and if you check your domain now it should be working as you would expect." -Unlimited Web Hosting support staff

Back