• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SiteBuilder getting worse?

K

knocx

We currently use SB2.1.3 , well we had deployed 3.0.1 for testing

for last 2 days we couldnt get a single site working on SB3

own site is not working either

where will the user create their sites , how hard can a UI can be , if we can not manage to create a site how will our clients do that.

SB3 has the worstn UI i have ever seen !!

own site...

The "own site" concept is the worst thing i have ever seen... What kind of programming logic is that!!! I believe Linux developers are following MS developers steps which is totally illogical.

Client logs in and owns a site manually by himself !!! rather than admin assigning a site to the client. i have never seen such a bad programming example.

SB3 should be a case study in software engineering courses as a "worst case" example.

we refuse to upgrade to SB3 since it is not possible to manage users anymore

How you guys manage to work with SB3??

knocx

This is soon to be changed

Guys, please hold on. We are going to improve this soon. "Take ownership" feature has been designed to minimize admin efforts, and now it appears to cause more harm then good.
We are now discussing a change to allow admins assign sites directly for the next minor release.

Nice to see someone "above" reading this forum. While you do discuss this issue, you might also want to discussing integration in Plesk for Linux. The integration in Plesk for Windows is much much better!

Plesk Integration

Yes, we know that Plesk integration under *nix is not as convenient as in Plesk Win. This is because Plesk for Windows team spent a whole lot of efforts on hardcoding SiteBuilder support right into their application. We also applied multiple changes to SiteBuilder for Windows API upon their requests.
Plesk for Linux architecture currently does not allow such a tight integration. I know that significant changes are planned for the Plesk 9 within the Open Fusion initiative, so I guess we can achieve noticeable integration improvements within the first half of 2007.

As for the sites assignment feature - it is going to be offically available within few weeks. Keep an eye on http://swsoft.com/en/products/sitebuilder3 - 3.0.2 is to be released soon.

I still can't figure out how my clients can use SB3. If I enable the FTP publishing the user can publish the site to any server! Surely this should check the domain is hosted on one of the 'Hosts' entered in the admin panel before publishing? If I disable FTP publishing the user can't do anything with the site they created other than email the site info to their mailbox.

Now, if anyone else has a sites site id, they can edit and upload the site! Anyone and everyone now has access to edit any site created in SB3! Cannot password protect like in SB2.

I also notice once a site is published, SB3 admin panel states zero of my allowed sites have been used (so I can publish an unlimited number of sites).

Quite simply, I cannot see a way to use SB3. Help!

Plesk integration also seems useless to me. Surely Plesk integration should simply mean (once the SB module has been installed on the Plesk server) the admin can enable/disable SB publishing to a Plesk clients account. A check box in their permissions/limits to enable SB publishing and then a box to enter the number of sites the client can publish. Easy!

The Plesk client can now enable SB publishing when creating a domain (in the domains 'Setup'), which is checked by the SB when a user attempts to publish.

When a visitor reaches the 'Publish' stage they should have the option of sending information to their email address (as they have now). On the same screen they should have a field called 'Publish to domain'. If the user enters their domain name and clicks 'Publish/next/proceed', the SiteBuilder checks the site is hosted on one of the permitted hosts, checks it has SB publishing enabled then displays the following (admin editable error message if not permitted): 'Publish Path', 'FTP Username', 'FTP Password'. User then clicks 'Publish', job done!

I think SB has been over-complicated and would love to have it behave in the way I described. It would make it easy to use for the admin, Plesk clients and domain owners.

Sinclair - Thank you for replying to our questions on the forum :) Now get all the other SWsoft developers to post here ;) Is there any chance the SiteBuilder can be changed from the way it currently behaves?

Back