• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Slave DNS Manager Extension security

Branko

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I have installed Slave DNS Manager Extension and set it up successfully. Everything is working great.
But, there is only one thing that bothers me.
When I run DNS test on mxtoolbox.com it warns "Open Zone Transfer Detected" for Slave Server.

I followed the exact instructions that are given in the extension and Plesk documentation. And I did not add anything else to /etc/bind/named.conf.options besides what was given by extension instructions.

Should I ignore that mxtoolbox.com warning? Is Slave Server protected from third-party zone transfer?
Or I should add some more lines to /etc/bind/named.conf.options for security?

This is the content of my /etc/bind/named.conf.options:

options {
directory "/var/cache/bind";

dnssec-validation auto;

auth-nxdomain no; # conform to RFC1035
listen-on-v6 { any; };
allow-new-zones yes;
};

key "rndc-key-(My Master Server IP)" {
algorithm hmac-md5;
secret "(my-secret-key)";
};

controls {
inet * port 953 allow { (My Master Server IP); 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key-(My Master Server IP)"; };
};

Thank you in advance.

I have checked in the same environment.

The Slave DNS Manager suggest minimal required configuration changes.
Bind server with default settings on Ubuntu allows zone transfer, it is true. If you want disable it, put next code into "options" section of "/etc/bind/named.conf.options" and restart bind server ("systemctl restart bind9.service")
Code:
allow-transfer { "none"; };

Back