• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Slave DNS Manager

Dave W

Regular Pleskian
There seems to be a control issue with 2 Plesk servers using the same set of external bind DNS servers via the Slave DNS Manager

Fro example;
PleskA, PleskB using dNS1,dNS2,dNS3 slave nameservers

If I add the domain narf.com to PleskA, the domains DNS is correctly set up on the NS servers

If I add the same domain narf.com to PleskB, the domain remains configured to be controlled by PleskA on the dNS servers via binds nzf file.

However if I remove narf.com from PleskB, the domains DNS is also removed from the dNS1,dNS2,dNS3 slave nameservers.

Would it be possible to include a check on the Slave DNS extension to only remove a domain from the nameservers if that Plesk servers IP is designated as the manager for the domain in the nzf file?

Rgds
Dave_W

Update;

So Plesk have added this to the Slave DNS Manager page:

Important note: The extension does not support an environment where Plesk servers use the same set of secondary DNS servers. We strongly recommend using separate secondary DNS servers for each Plesk server for security reasons.

Thats not really a fix for someone who runs over 50 Plesk servers, surely this shouldn't require 150 servers?

Not to mention the whole having to change nameservers on a domain just to move a subscription from one server to another. Can this not be done better?

Rgds
Dave_W

Yes. Plesk has had these kind of issues for years with little progress.

DO / Azure / r53 extensions all have other similar issues in multi-server setups.

The answer seems to be 'write your own,' which is certainly an option. In fact, if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. I think creating an open source something would be very helpful to many people.

Back