• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

smtp_psa file not in xinetd.d

Matt Grant

Regular Pleskian
I had a hardware failure on my old Plesk 9.5/Centos 5 server and I had to restore from a backup on a new Plesk 9.5/Centos server. On the old server I had setup an alternate SMTP port (30) for users who's ISP's blocked port 25 and it worked fine. I have been telling most clients to change to port 587 and it has been making their outgoing mail work. I know I will have many more calls and wanted to re-enable port 30, but I am having some issues. I already edited the /etc/services file to add:

smtp 30/tcp mail
smtp 30/udp mail

I am trying to find/edit the smtp_psa file that is supposed to be in the /etc/xinetd.d folder, but there are no files named smtp_psa. I do have a ftp_psa and a poppassd_psa file. Do I need to create the smtp_psa file(s)? I still have access via rescue console on the old mail server and I see the smtp_psa, smtps_psa, smtp_nonstandard and submissions_psa files. Can I copy them from the old server into the xinetd.d folder on the new server?

The mail server is running properly otherwise, I just would like to head-off a bunch of phone calls if I can.

Thanks in advance!!!

These files are actual in case when you have Qmail as MTA. It looks like you have Postfix now. Postfix config can be found in /etc/postfix/

I could have sworn the previous server was running Qmail as the MTA. IS there a way I can check which is running for sure? Does it matter which one I use? Why is the new server now using Postfix when I restored from a complete backup of the old server running Qmail?

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to understand why it is setup this way now.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ok, I followed that KB on how to switch to Qmail and got it switched around (Thanks a million!). I then followed this KB http://kb.odin.com/837 on how to add port 30 as a SMTP port. I created the smtp_30 entry in the services file and then created a new file called smtp_30 in the xinetd.d folder and copy and pasted the contents of the old servers smtp_nonstandard file (I did have to edit the title of the file to say service smtp_30 after the copy and paste). I then restarted the xinetd service and I still cannot Telnet in or send mail on port 30. I also tried disabling the Plesk firewall and the 1&1 firewall and still nothing.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!!!

I figured it out. The contents of my old server's smtp_nonstandard had an entry for Port = 30. I removed that line and everything started working. If I understand correctly, the port number is controlled from editing the services file.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction, it got made me figure it out.

I do have one last question, if you end up checking this thread again...

I want to upgrade my Centos 5 Plesk server from 9.5.3 to 10.2. Besides the port 30 addition, the server is a vanilla install of 9.5.3. Should I expect any problems upgrading that high without doing the incrementals first? I would really like to use the new 10.x CP. The screenshots I have seen of it look pretty cool. The server is a production mail server hosting about 50 domains with a couple hundred email accounts. I am concerned about having an upgrade failure or some sort of licensing issue that would have the server offline and the clients unhappy.

Thanks in advance!!!

10.x is very different than 9.x - Unless you really want or need a specific feature in 10 I would suggest that you stick with 9.5

Back