• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

[solved] BIND DNS PTR Problem, Could not find reverse address for IP

Maurizio

New Pleskian
Hello there,

on saturday night i installed BIND on the machine. I setted all well up, it works.

Settings:
NS record for ns1.mydomain.com -with my 1st IP / working
NS record for ns2.mydomain.com -with my 2nd IP / working

A record to ns1.mydomain.com -with my 1st IP / working
A record to ns2.mydomain.com -with my 2nd IP / working

PTR record to ns1 -starts with my 1st IP and at the end :24 / working
PTR record to ns2 -starts with my 2nd IP and at the end :24 / error here

But when i make a dnscheck with http://dnscheck.pingdom.com/ or other pages i get for my ns2.mydomain.com the message: Could not find reverse address for <my2.IP-address> in-addr.arpa.

I tryed everyday until now to fix it. I know hat there are many posts about it. But i didn't found any post which helped for my case. Maybe you know a post or just can help me directly.

Thanks for all Solutions, if you need more information tell me.

P.S.: It's my first post, please tell me what i can do better on my future posts.

Hi Maurizio,

just some facts:
Did you rent the IP from a server provider, or did you get an IP-Pool from ripe.net for example?
I rather think, that you rented the IP(s) and therefore, please either request a valid PTR record for the IP from your server provider ( they mostly charge another monthly fee for that ), or if you are able to set PTR records on your own on your server providers nameserver ( which is very, very rare! ), then you will set such a PTR record on the control panel from your server provider. Most users don't have own IP-Pools provided by for example ripe.net ( these are mostly pools with 2048 IPs and you get these pools being a member, paying yearly memberchip for it ).

Even if the Plesk Control Panel states "primary" and "secondary" nameserver in the configuration, the IP(s) are mostly rented with the depending server, so the "real" primary and secondary nameserver will always be the one, where the IP is allocated... and this is ( mostly ) over the server providers nameservers.

Hi UFHH01,

Thanks for fast answer ;)
As you thought, i rent a virtual server with two IP's. But I can manage all settings on Bind.

I even changed the SOA settings and it worked, added the PTR for my first IP and it worked all.
But the Error with the second IP is still there.

Today i called my provider, as always on phone was a person woh had no glue of what I'm talking about. They opened a ticket and I will get response next week!

Maybe some other idea what it could be?

On the images is my setup, so you can see better ;)

dns 1.JPG dns 2.JPG dns 3.JPG

Hi Maurizio,

please do a REVERSE check as well, when investigating issues. As for example:

Use for example: http://www.dnsgoodies.com/

1. Test "DNS Query Lookup" with example.com
  2. Test "Reverse DNS Lookup" with the corresponding IP from example.com
You will now see in your case, that Test 1 resolves to your desired IP, but Test 2 resolves to your servername @ stratoserver.net. The reverse check doesn't resolve to your domain. As I explained earlier, you have to set such reverse entries as well at your providers nameserver and not only in Plesk. Plesk is not the "real" master in your case.
Not all server providers allow own reverse entries, or they may charge you for a custom change, please keep that in mind, when you communicate with your provider.

Yesterday i received the answer from my provider.

As you sad I've to change the settings on my Customer Account, there is a extra section where I can edit the DNS-Reverse for my IP's.

Thanks for helping.

Back