• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Spam Assassin Questions

barryc

New Pleskian
I'm having a devil of a time getting spam assassin working/trained on plesk 11.

I have a few questions that i can't seem to find the answers to anywhere. seems lots of people have the questions, but no answers:
1) when does sa 'learn' by looking at items moved into the spam folder? instantly every time a new message is moved in? one time/night?
2) how are the different spam-protection options in plesk related. for example, if you use the DNS blacklist, or SPF or domain keys, does it override spam assassin which runs first, next, etc? does spamassassin use the results of the blacklist etc to determine score?
3) how does it know which folder is the 'spam' folder? by the name being s-p-a-m?
4) i see references to moving mail into the spam folder on hoard, but does it work from any imap client like thunderbird and outlook to move spam into folders?
5) do you need to train for ham in addition to spam for spamassassin to work? i see that in some posts, but plesk doesn't seem to train for ham, only spam.
6) it seems very very easy to 'break' the whole thing and block ALL inbound email using the dns blacklists... when i add bl.spamcop.net (which seems is on everyones list as being a good one), i don't get any inbound email at all... the instructions say to 'test out the server before using', but how exactly do you do that? bl.spamcop.net shows me an internet page... does that mean it's ok? (and if so, why does it block everything...)

the manuals just say to check the boxes and move the items and training happens, but not how it actually works behind the scenes. something i'm doing is not working at all... i know that much.

Back