• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Spam Causing Server Load Issues

DigitalCrowd

Basic Pleskian
Hi. One of my servers was sitting around do almost nothing, twiddling its thumbs. It is primarily a mail server (full Plesk install) and handles a lot of spam needless to say (incoming that is).

Needing to "off" a active forum site from their existing server, I moved them to this more powerful server doing little to nothing.

The moment that forums site came online, wham, the server took a hit. The forum site become practically unresponsive and the server load avg sky rocketed. I disabled SpamAssassin and the server went back to twiddling thumbs, even with the active forum site using its database.

Later, I turned SpamAssassin back on and load avg sky rocketed out of control. Thinking it might be a short lived thing... I went ahead and let it run for a few minutes... and once a group of emails was processed, things settled down to a twiddling thumbs level, with both SpamAssassin and the forums DB running.

The problem is, that out of the blue, a ton of spam will come in and bring the server to its knees, then return back to normal state. For a forum site, this becomes frustrating for those site owners and users. Short of moving them to yet another server and something I don't want to have to do...

Has anyone experienced this with SpamAssassin tapping the DB server heavily. What can be done to help reduce this. I am running an array of RBL's to reduce the SpamAssassin load, but any other ideas, short of installing a front end store-and-forward spam blocking sendmail server?

What about greylisting? There's an excellent thread somewhere here about getting that working. That should stop 99% of all spam. Sure, there's lots of db activity involved, but it mnay be a heck of a lot more efficient than spamassassin in terms of system load.

Also take a look at ART's Project Gamera .. though you'll need a separate machine for that.

Faris.

Back