• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SpamAssassin and /tmp noexec

cmaxwell

Regular Pleskian
Hi all,

Can someone please help me out with a problem related to the spamd and having /tmp mounted as noexec (for security).

We recently tried this out on a server and found the spamd would error with the following:

Jul 27 17:54:59 test_server spamc[10417]: connect(AF_UNIX) to spamd /tmp/spamd_full.sock failed: Permission denied

Short of setting /tmp back to having exec permissions, what else could we do to get around the problem?

Thanks!

- Chris

You changed the ownerships in the /tmp directory. On the socket you must have popuser:root.

Thanks for your reply.

It was actually the wrong spamassassin running - for whatever reason the service "spamassassin" instead of "psa-spamassassin" was running, so we stopped the wrong one and started up psa-spamassassin and everything started working again.

I have read elsewhere that this problem was probably linked to an update, though we didn't install an update on the same date as the problem started happening.

All working now, thanks.

- Chris

which one?

does anybody know if you have to run

1. spamassassin
2. psa-spamassassin
3. both

for proper anti-spam functionality?

Thanks.

psa-spamassassin is for controlling spam assassin through the CP and is not necessary for spamassassin to function properly.

I run both psa-spamassassin and spamassassin with qmail-scanner from ART's repos. This seems to work best. You can run one or the other or both. I'm setup this way so my EU's can control the spamassassin settings in their CP's if they want.

ART also has intergragted spamassassin into his squirrelmail repo which has bayes functionality setup which is a way around using psa-spamasassin like I am.

I setup psa-spamassassin to flag anything with a score of 5, I'm running maps with these domains:

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org;sc.surbl.org;ws.surbl.org;ob.surbl.org;
ab.surbl.org;multi.surbl.org;black.uribl.com;
cbl.abuseat.org;chinanet.blackholes.us;korea.blackholes.us;
relays.ordb.org;dnsbl.njabl.org;list.dsbl.org;blackholes.easynet.nl;
Blackholes.mail-abuse.org

Thanks

Thanks, Galactic Zero, that makes things more clear for me.

Back