• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SpamAssassin Error When Starting Service

V

VerityNS

This is the error I'm getting

ERROR Up LevelUp Level

Unable to make action: Unable to manage service by spamd: Empty error message from utility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0: /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/server/restart_services.php:19 psaerror(string "Unable to make action: Unable to manage service by spamd: Empty error message from utility.")

This is on a RH9, Plesk 7.5.2 box. I've searched Google and this forum to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Is there anyone that might know why this is happening and what I can do to possibly resolve it! I greatly appreciate any help! : )

I haven's stumbled on the actual arror before, but the first thinsg to try would be to restart spamd and/or run spamassassin with "lint" switch in order to check the config files...

Did the error just happen all of a sudden or is this the first time you're trying to use spamc/spamd?

It happened after a upgrade from 7.5.0 -> 7.5.1. I noticed after that, I wasn't able to get SpamAss. to start up.

I have the same problem with spamassassin. This is the message I get if I try to start it from the control panel:

ERROR
Up LevelUp Level
Unable to make action: Unable to manage service by spamd: Empty error message from utility.
0: /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/server/restart_services.php:19 psaerror(string "Unable to make action: Unable to manage service by spamd: Empty error message from utility.")

This problem arose after the installation of last hotfix for plesk 7.5.2 - RHEL3.0

If I try to start psa-spamassassin from the commandline using
/etc/rc.d/init.d/psa-spamassassin start
I get the following error:

===> Reading /etc/psa/psa.conf ...
Can't locate Mail/SpamAssassin/NoMailAudit.pm in @INC (@INC contains: lib /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl) at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/CmdManage.pm line 14.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/CmdManage.pm line 14.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/spammng line 71.

I have the following rpm installed:
psa-spamassassin-7.5.2-rhel3.build75050130.17
spamassassin-3.0.2-1.rhel3.art

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thank you
abo

I solved the problem removing the rpms of psa-spamassassin and spamassassin and reinstalling the versions provided with plesk 7.5.2
Spamassassin is now working again, I had to reconfigure it from the control panel.

Originally posted by abo0
I solved the problem removing the rpms of psa-spamassassin and spamassassin and reinstalling the versions provided with plesk 7.5.2
Spamassassin is now working again, I had to reconfigure it from the control panel.

Unforunately, I'm not completely versed in doing this. Is there anyone that can provide more detail on how to do this?

Originally posted by VerityNS
Unforunately, I'm not completely versed in doing this. Is there anyone that can provide more detail on how to do this?

1. # rpm -qa|grep spam
psa-spamassassin-7.5.2-fc1.build75050128.10
spamassassin-3-0.2

2. rpm -e psa-spamassassin-7.5.2-fc1.build75050128.10 spamassassin-3-0.2

3. rpm -Uvh psa-spamassassin-7.5.2-fc1.build75050128.10 spamassassin-2.63-0.2

It should do the trick. :)

Thank you so much! That did the trick! :)

I really appreciate your help! :)

Can't locate Mail/SpamAssassin/NoMailAudit.pm in @INC

You can't use SpamAssassin 3 with Plesk 7.x without some re-tweaking of various things. The reason is that NoMailAudit is no longer used in SA 3, and some of the function calls to SA are different (Plesk 7.x looks like it has some old syntax hardcoded in various scripts).

I haven't spent a lot of time digging around on this issue, but basically not a "drop-in" type operation (at least not on FreeBSD).

Also, if you do want to try to work around these things and get 3.x to work, you'll need to make sure you "--sync" your bayes data files after the upgrade (it is pretty well covered in the UPGRADING notes for SpamAssassin). The database format changed for the 3.x series.

Back