• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Spamassassin sought.rules.yerp.org channel failed

evcz

New Pleskian
Hi

since the yesterday seeing /usr/share/spamassassin/sa-update.cron fail with these errors (from from /var/log/sa-update.log)

Mar 12 03:10:59.859 [17592] dbg: diag: updates complete, exiting with code 1
channel: no 'mirrors.sought.rules.yerp.org' record found, channel failed
11-Mar-2021 05:56:21: SpamAssassin: Unknown error code 3 from sa-update

on default plesk installs on centos 7

Is that channel shipped with plesk by default?
that domains stopped resolving 2 days ago

Shall plesk drop the usage of that yerp mirror?

Try to debug this issue with command:

# /usr/bin/sa-update --debug --verbose

Most probably this is the temporary issue on SpamAssassin side.

Code:
channel: no 'mirrors.sought.rules.yerp.org' record found, channel failed
13-Mar-2021 04:20:40: SpamAssassin: Unknown error code 3 from sa-update

Same issue here, I started getting this cron error 3 days ago, hope its a remote problem.

If I am not mistaken the Sought rule set hasn't been maintained for quite a number of years now. Hence the rule set channel has been removed from newer SA versions, but it is still part of SA version 3.4.0 on Centos 7 (and perhaps other distros as well). Not sure why it suddenly started producing errors now. I guess they finally pulled the plug. SpamAssassin documentation recommends not using the Sought rule set. See also SoughtRules - SPAMASSASSIN - Apache Software Foundation.

I guess you could disable the channel by commenting out the CHANNELURL in the sought.conf file.

# nano /etc/mail/spamassassin/channel.d/sought.conf
Code:
# http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/SoughtRules
# CHANNELURL=sought.rules.yerp.org
# KEYID=6C6191E3
# Ignore everything below.

Last edited:
I had the same problem. I commented it out as shown in this article.
# SoughtRules - SPAMASSASSIN - Apache Software Foundation
# KEYID=6C6191E3

The next day. I received an error email, is it relevant?
subject:
Cron <> /usr/share/spamassassin/sa-update.cron 2>&1 | tee -a /var/log/sa-update.log
body:
/etc/mail/spamassassin/channel.d/sought.conf: line 7: -----BEGIN: command not found
/etc/mail/spamassassin/channel.d/sought.conf: line 8: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/etc/mail/spamassassin/channel.d/sought.conf: line 8: `Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)'

Oops, I just realized that return 0 should not be commented out. (Changed?).
# SoughtRules - SPAMASSASSIN - Apache Software Foundation
# KEYID=6C6191E3
return 0

(The correction was written in the link. My apologies.)

Last edited:
Back