• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

SPF Records in Plesk 8.x

S

sws-solutions

I have been trying on many occassions to integrate an SPF record however all the utilities on the web say I dont have one published

Under Server > DNS

I added a txt record

This is displayed in the list as :

<domain>. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all"

Can anybody give me a "Noob" step by step guide on this

Thanks in advance for your help

Steve

I'm no expert, but I think I got it up and working.

the difference I see between our setups at first glance is the quotes around the record. I'm not sure if you used that for formatting or what.

Mine is.

<domain>. TXT v=spf1 mx

I used this tool

http://www.dnsstuff.com/pages/spf.htm

to check it, and it detected it okay.

Didn't do anything special other than running the wizard, and putting it in a text record.

Very strange then...

I tried with or without the quotes and even rebooted my server incase that was required.

I also tried the exact line to yours missing out the - ptr ~all

Whats even worse... I even used the exact same tool to check, entering my servers IP address

SPF lookup of sender [email protected] from IP 82.xxx.xx.1xx:

SPF string used: .

Error: I could not get the SPF string [SPF not supported (the xxx-sxxxxxxs.co.uk TXT record does not exist, negative TTL=86109).].

Result: NONE

Weird, the only other thing I could think of is making sure that the plesk server is authoritative for the domain.

Could you maybe be using other dns servers to host the records?

That's pretty much all it takes for plesk to put it there, but dns as a whole isn't seeing it.

I'm pretty sure all you are doing is modifying the DNS template that is used for new accounts.

I think you'll have to reset all of your domains' DNS zones to default and that will trigger the new TXT record to be created in all of the zones.

Limedrink.

Thanks for taking time to reply...

Ill give that a go ??

Originally posted by sws-solutions
I have been trying on many occassions to integrate an SPF record however all the utilities on the web say I dont have one published

Under Server > DNS

I added a txt record

This is displayed in the list as :

Can anybody give me a "Noob" step by step guide on this

Thanks in advance for your help

Steve

This is just the template used for new domain creations. If you have existing domains, you need to create the TXT entry in each domain's DNS.

Added txt record to Default Template, reverting the domain in question to defaults and the txt record shows up.

Used the check and "NO SPF RECORD"

I also used a live email check which shows the same result by emailing to :

[email protected]

I have rebooted server, restarted BIND and still no SPF record published.

Just to clarify, when I go into a domain and click DNS the txt record is showing there fine and this time not in a template.

Is there another way to publish an SPF record ???

You can publish them on a per-domain basis by adding the TXT record to the DNS zone for the domain you want the SPF record for.

Domain > DNS > Add TXT record for SPF record

I would suggest you trying that first. Let me know how it goes.

Limedrink.

Ive already tried that and still nothing.

As I say, if I goto Domains > Mydomain.com > DNS

There is a TXT record with info shown at the top of the page..

Im typing in the server IP and not my own into the checking utility and the correct email for the domain, yet still NO SPF Records published.

Beleive me... Its added but not picking it up.

Could it be something to do with 1and1 ??

That's weird.

PM me your domain name... I'll try to see if I can find any possible errors.

Limedrink.

Have the same Issue on Strato Provider ...

Does anybody solve this Issue ?

gr33tz

Not so far...

Maybe its our server setup ???
rather than a plesk issue ?

If you go to dnsreport.com and run your domain.

Is the plesk server IP in the list of "NS records at parent servers"?

if so, is it the "master" server for the zone, or a read only copy.

It basically sounds like an authoritative server issue.

Originally posted by sws-solutions
Not so far...

Maybe its our server setup ???
rather than a plesk issue ?

I think its an Plesk Issue. If you add the SPF Records into TXT, your local Nameserver should answer those.

dig @yourlocalns yourhosteddomain TXT

It shoudl give you the Entries for TXT.
In my case he doesn't, so it is a Plesk issue and not as Zone Transfer.

Here i wrote my Issue :
http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39447

Basically your dns settinsg in plesk are moot then. They don't affect anything anyone sees.

You'd need to either change your DNS servers for the domain to point to the plesk server. (potentially problematic).

or contact 1and1, and/or try the 1and1 control panel, and see if you can create records for your domain there. I'm sure they should offer something like that.

Then just create that txt record as you previously designed in that context, and you should be ready to roll.

Just as a follow up...

You where correct, 1and1 replied :

You have your domains still set to use 1&1 nameservers. You need to
setup DNS on your own server and point the ns records to your server for this to work properly.

Not tested yet though

It is very simple, just go to your domain panel, click DNS ,and select from dropdown menu "text" option.

add only in the last field:

v=spf1 a mx ptr -all

Without quotes, as you can see, the domain is not specified, plesk will add it for you.

Back