• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Squirrelmail in Plesk 8

T

TXRanger

Our older Plesk servers used to come pre-configured to use Horde with webmail.domain.com and to use Squirrelmail with domain.com/webmail. I notice with Plesk 8, Horde still exists, but SquirrelMail does not. As we begin to migrate domains from our old Plesk servers to our new Plesk servers the most common request we get is to "fix" it so that squirrelmail works with domain.com/webmail.

How can we install Squirrelmail on our new Plesk servers so that it is accessible to our users through domain.com/webmail (like the older 7.x Plesk) without breaking Horde (or anything else)?

On our boxes ( CentOS4 with Plesk8.3 ) we installed Squirrelmail from the CentOS repos with: #yum install squirrelmail

Then:
edit /etc/httpd/conf.d/squirrelmail.conf for this:

Alias /webmail /usr/share/squirrelmail
Alias /squirrelmail /usr/share/squirrelmail
<Directory /usr/share/squirrelmail>
Options Indexes
AllowOverride none
DirectoryIndex index.php
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

Next:

Set in /usr/share/squirrelmail/config/config.php
for the following ( options set in /usr/share/squirrelmail/config/conf.pl )

$imap_server_type = 'courier';
$optional_delimiter = '.';

$default_folder_prefix = 'mail/';
$trash_folder = 'INBOX.Trash';
$sent_folder = 'INBOX.Sent';
$draft_folder = 'INBOX.Drafts';

After the above, domain.tld/webmail would open Squirrelmail and horde still was webmail.domain.tld

That's what worked for us.

Well, I took a chance and just instlled SquirrelMail from the RPM, and it pretty much worked. I am running Plesk 8.3 on RHEL5. So here is what I did:
yum install squirrelmail

It installed without errors, so I tried www.domain.com/webmail, but it didn't work (404). So then I went to create a new configuration file for it (to create the "webmail" alias) in /etc/httpd/conf.d, but I noticed that there was already a "squirrelmail.conf" file there. The contents already contained the following line:
Alias /webmail /usr/share/squirrelmail

With this alias, I figured I would have gotten something besides a 404, so I restarted Apache, and then tried www.domain.com/webmail
And it worked up to the login screen. After logging in, I got an error about apache not having write access to a file "Error opening /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/default_pref". This turned out to be a PHP "safe mode" issue and was resolved by editing the /etc/httpd/conf.d/squirrelmail and adding the following:
<Directory /usr/share/squirrelmail>
php_admin_value safe_mode off
</Directory>

Then I got a little bit further but after logging in got "Query: CREATE "Sent"
Reason Given: Invalid mailbox name." At this point, I realized that jwdick had replied to my post, so I implemented his 6 changes to the /etc/squirrelmail/config.php and now it seems to be working fine without any errors.

Back