• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved SSH Acccess doesn't work

DieterWerner

Regular Pleskian
I get nothing but a black | when I click the SSH icon.
Edit: SSH access works fine with PuTTY and/or WinSCP

Last edited:
Could you please include a screenshot of the SSH icon you are clicking? I am not aware that Plesk features built-in browser-based SSH, but maybe I have been missing something?

SSH Terminal was part of Plesk many years ago in very old Plesk versions.

@IgorG: We want this, too :) Where can we get it???

@DieterWerner: The icon should not be there. Could this be an extension that is proprietary to your web hosting provider? Anyway, most of these SSH shells that used to work in a browser were JAVA based. As modern browsers cease JAVA execution (actually the NAPI interface), it is possible that such applications no longer work. It's just a guess, because I've never seen the SSH function in the panel.

@Peter Debik We have request PPP-6433 for replacing this outdated java application with modern HTML5 but it seems this idea is not popular enough and therefore postponed.

@IgorG: We want this, too :) Where can we get it???

@DieterWerner: The icon should not be there. Could this be an extension that is proprietary to your web hosting provider? Anyway, most of these SSH shells that used to work in a browser were JAVA based. As modern browsers cease JAVA execution (actually the NAPI interface), it is possible that such applications no longer work. It's just a guess, because I've never seen the SSH function in the panel.
Click a domain, click hosting access, enable SSH access, save the setting, go back to the domain overview and you will see the icon.

If only the browser developers would not block all the good old and highly efficient technologies like Flash and Java ... This is so annoying that a bunch of people are taking away thousands of well-working applications from the masses, it's like in a dictatorship. We suffer the same with an automated call distribution application of Vodafone for a vanity number. It's simply no longer working, because browser developers patronize users all the time, pre-scribing what users are allowed and what they are not. When I just think about the millions of useful Flash based applications that are no longer working due to the NAPI issue. All needs to be re-developed now. What a burden on national economy and on businesses.

Anyway, this does not solve the user's (DieterWerner's) issue. So probably in this case there is no solution, because the SSH icon is simply pointing to a function that is discontinued. O.k., that's the way things are.

Click a domain, click hosting access, enable SSH access, save the setting, go back to the domain overview and you will see the icon.
Nope.
I think you just have it from the old Plesk version where it was enabled. After that, your server was upgraded and you still see it on your Plesk.

Hi there, since we updated to Plesk 17.5 none of our allowed users can use SSH ... that's wired... It was working on Plesk 12.5 ... Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Cheers!

Hi there, since we updated to Plesk 17.5 none of our allowed users can use SSH ... that's wired... It was working on Plesk 12.5 ... Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Cheers!
First of all make sure that sshd service is up and running and port 22 is listening with

# lsof -i tcp:22

First of all make sure that sshd service is up and running and port 22 is listening with

# lsof -i tcp:22

Hi Igor, thank you for your answer. SSHD service is up and running and port 22 is listening (I can send you I screenshot if needed).

Hi Igor, thank you for your answer. SSHD service is up and running and port 22 is listening (I can send you I screenshot if needed).
Make sure that port 22 is not firewalled on your server.

Back