• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue SSH / Git Auth failure

Simon Jones

New Pleskian
Hi,

Hoping for a few pointers really. I have a VPS, was installed at Deb 8 and upgraded to 9 (with Plesk already installed), I think Plesk is ok as i ran the repair and nothing comes back as failed.

I've gone to try and use git but kept getting authentication fails, so i've made a change to allow SSH logins to try and track down the problem but the only login that works over ssh is the root login.

Am guessing this is a PAM issue but i've never had this before, i've checked /etc/passwd and the shell is set, and /etc/shadow contains a password, all the journal log shows is

Jul 24 21:38:25 vps1 sshd[20838]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=87.75.109.178 user=*********** (starred out by me)

Where do i need to look on this?

Thanks,

Simon

As far as I know, dist-upgrade from Debian8 to Debian9 is not supported by Plesk Dist-Upgrade Support
Thus, you do this at your own risk and have to understand that various unpleasant consequences are possible.

Back