• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

ssh newbie

D

dihsar

I am totally new to shell and i would like to know if it is a software i need to install on my computer to get access to my server.
If so where do i get a ssh software.Is it like ftp?please help.Thanks

What OS are you running? Most linux distributions either already include ssh packages or they are easy to get.

M

I recommend that you use Putty. I have used that for years and it is one of the best in my opinion.

It is free, you can get it here.

Originally posted by Gorgon
What OS are you running? Most linux distributions either already include ssh packages or they are easy to get.

M

Thanks a lot .I am using Linux Red Hat 9.

DEEPLIST.com: Can i install zend optimizer using putty?is so please how do i go about it?And where do i find commands?Thank you

Yes, you can install Zend through the secure shell using Putty. Have you been able to log in? A lot of people use root to perform server tasks.

You will have to get Zend from their website. I think you have to register before you can download it.

from SSH, you will type in something like this:

wget http://www.zend.com/somedirectory/zend.tar.gz

Once you get the file on your server you will have to extract the tarball and make the install.

Thanks a lot .I am using Linux Red Hat 9.

Redhat 9 comes with ssh already installed and I believe it starts at boot time automatically. If you cannot get in with SSH (and PuTTy is a great ssh client for Windows) then there may be a firewall blocking the connection.

I don't think RedHat9 has a built in firewall like the Fedoras do, but I could be mistaken. If you can rule out a network firewall and you suspect there is a firewall on your server, do:

service iptables stop

If it succeeds, then you stopped the firewall on your server and you should be able to ssh in now.

Hope this helps,
M

Originally posted by deeplist
Yes, you can install Zend through the secure shell using Putty. Have you been able to log in? A lot of people use root to perform server tasks.

You will have to get Zend from their website. I think you have to register before you can download it.

from SSH, you will type in something like this:

wget http://www.zend.com/somedirectory/zend.tar.gz

Once you get the file on your server you will have to extract the tarball and make the install.

I was able to get it on my server but it looks like its at the root.Is there a way to create a directory before uploading a file?
and how do i extract the tarball and make the install?Your help is really appreciated.Thanks

After you ssh in, cd to /tmp first:

cd /tmp

Then run the wget to grab the tarball. Unpack the tarball with:

tar xvzf zend.tar.gz

(or whatever the actual name of the tarball is).

You should see a new directory which just got unpacked (run ls -lt | more) to see the more recently created files/dirs). Cd to that directory and I believe you just run:

./install

to install Zend. :)

M

Youve been very helpful.My last question is is there a command to use to create a directory?Thanks

Youve been very helpful.My last question is is there a command to use to create a directory?Thanks

No problem. The command to create a directory is:

mkdir

M

Gorgon - FYI

Yes, RH9 does have iptables by default, settings depends on if they used RHLokkit or not, or modified the /etc/sysconfig/iptables rules file or not.

Back