1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

ssh newbie

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by dihsar, Jun 22, 2005.

1. dihsar

dihsar Guest

I am totally new to shell and i would like to know if it is a software i need to install on my computer to get access to my server.
    If so where do i get a ssh software.Is it like ftp?please help.Thanks

2. jamesyeeoc

jamesyeeoc Guest

3. Gorgon@

Gorgon@ Guest

What OS are you running? Most linux distributions either already include ssh packages or they are easy to get.

M

4. deeplist

deeplist Guest

I recommend that you use Putty. I have used that for years and it is one of the best in my opinion.

It is free, you can get it here.

5. dihsar

dihsar Guest

Thanks a lot .I am using Linux Red Hat 9.

DEEPLIST.com: Can i install zend optimizer using putty?is so please how do i go about it?And where do i find commands?Thank you

6. deeplist

deeplist Guest

Yes, you can install Zend through the secure shell using Putty. Have you been able to log in? A lot of people use root to perform server tasks.

You will have to get Zend from their website. I think you have to register before you can download it.

from SSH, you will type in something like this:

wget http://www.zend.com/somedirectory/zend.tar.gz

Once you get the file on your server you will have to extract the tarball and make the install.

7. Gorgon@

Gorgon@ Guest

Redhat 9 comes with ssh already installed and I believe it starts at boot time automatically. If you cannot get in with SSH (and PuTTy is a great ssh client for Windows) then there may be a firewall blocking the connection.

I don't think RedHat9 has a built in firewall like the Fedoras do, but I could be mistaken. If you can rule out a network firewall and you suspect there is a firewall on your server, do:

service iptables stop

If it succeeds, then you stopped the firewall on your server and you should be able to ssh in now.

Hope this helps,
    M

8. dihsar

dihsar Guest

I was able to get it on my server but it looks like its at the root.Is there a way to create a directory before uploading a file?
    and how do i extract the tarball and make the install?Your help is really appreciated.Thanks

9. Gorgon@

Gorgon@ Guest

After you ssh in, cd to /tmp first:

cd /tmp

Then run the wget to grab the tarball. Unpack the tarball with:

tar xvzf zend.tar.gz

(or whatever the actual name of the tarball is).

You should see a new directory which just got unpacked (run ls -lt | more) to see the more recently created files/dirs). Cd to that directory and I believe you just run:

./install

to install Zend. :)

M

10. dihsar

dihsar Guest

Youve been very helpful.My last question is is there a command to use to create a directory?Thanks

11. Gorgon@

Gorgon@ Guest

No problem. The command to create a directory is:

mkdir

M

12. jamesyeeoc

jamesyeeoc Guest

Gorgon - FYI

Yes, RH9 does have iptables by default, settings depends on if they used RHLokkit or not, or modified the /etc/sysconfig/iptables rules file or not.