• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue SSH / SFTP WinSCP Putty

ClaytonDaniels

New Pleskian
I have a Lightsail Plesk Instance running with one website attached. The website is live and serving as expected.

I'd like to SFTP into the directory, either via WinSCP or Putty. I can easily accomplish this with my SSH Key from LightSail account and the ubuntu username (no password).

I would like to be able to accomplish this with the website user. The ubuntu username doesn't allow me to access the /var/www/vhosts/xxx.com directory (I get permissions denied). It would make sense that the site user/ftp user would be able to access the directory, but I cannot connect via WinSCP or Putty using the site user account.

Any ideas?

Reactions: Ovi
Hi ClaytonDaniels,

If I understood you correctly, you need to...
1) Create a domain (Websites & Domains)
2) Choose "Web Hosting Access" for the domain
3) Check username and password for "System user"
4) Enable "Access to the server over SSH" but not "/bin/bash (chrooted)"
5) Connect to your server with credentials of the system user with WinSCP/FileZilla/etc.

Right... and even though I have it setup that way, I cannot access via SFTP.

I'm receiving Server refused key error messages (this is via Putty). Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)

I've downloaded the INSTANCE key and converted it to a Putty readable key (.ppk). I can access the INSTANCE via SSH/SFTP, but not an individual domain account setup via Websites and Domains.

More thoughts?

Right... and even though I have it setup that way, I cannot access via SFTP.

I'm receiving Server refused key error messages (this is via Putty). Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)

I've downloaded the INSTANCE key and converted it to a Putty readable key (.ppk). I can access the INSTANCE via SSH/SFTP, but not an individual domain account setup via Websites and Domains.

More thoughts?
Hello,

have you added your public ssh key in the folder .ssh of the domain user ?
Because SSH keys have to be added inside each user home directory.

Otherwise, when /bin/bash is enabled for a user, you can switch from ubuntu to another user with the command :
Code:
sudo su - domain_user

also check winscp guide

Back