• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue SSH wont start, error on starting

Gene Steinberg

Regular Pleskian
I have a VPS with the latest Plesk and AlmaLinux 9.3.

All of a sudden SSH doesn't work. It restarts with an error and a telnet to the server shows it can't reach port 22 (even though it's activated).

I used the host's console to login and ran a few things (see screen shot).

I assume removing and reinstalling SSH can help, but I am not finding clear instructions on doing that.

Can someone help?

Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 7.26.48 AM.png

Did you follow the advice mentioned in the error and ran systemctl status sshd.service and journalctl -xeu sshd.service to get more details on the error?

I fond directions for removing Open SSH in AlmaLinux and did that, reinstalled. and was able to restart OpenSSH.

But Plesk opens with a 502 Gateway error. Sites work, but not SSH for logins. I can connect via host's remote console, though. A restart requires restarting MariaDB, but sites work.

So any directions to get past this are welcome.

Removing OpenSSH is not such a good idea. It would have been better to simply edit the faulty configuration file. Removing a service might result in other services that depend on it to no longer work.

Could you please explain what you mean by the 502 Gateway error? Do you mean that opening the graphical user interface shows that error so that you cannot see the login page, but see a 502 immediately? In that case you can try to toggle the psa service service psa stop && service psa start or you can try to toggle service sw-cp-server restart && service sw-engine restart. If this does not work, please try advice from this thread: Issue - sw-engine won't start

Back