• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SSL Gives Error with "www" prefix

C

Chris

I installed a Thawte SSL certificate on to a Plesk 7.5.1 server and the instalation seemed to go fine.

The problem is that if I try to access the site by going to https://www.domain.com it pops up the error message, "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site."

If I go to https://domain.com (without the www. prefix) then I don't get the error message. (I did restart my browser before trying that.)

Shouldn't an SSL certificate work with both www. and without? It's always worked that way for me before in the past (I haven't had to purchase a "wildcard" certificate or anything for the www to work).

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong here or if I'm missing something?

Hi,

the certificate contains a "common name" which is the domain with or without www prefix, therefore you cannot have both in the same certificate. Therefore the warning for your domain WITH www prefix.

Bobby

Originally posted by Bobby
the certificate contains a "common name" which is the domain with or without www prefix, therefore you cannot have both in the same certificate. Therefore the warning for your domain WITH www prefix.
Thanks for your reply. The thing is that all the other SSL certificates I've installed on the server work fine either with "www." or without it. This is the first certificate I've installed that doesn't work with the "www." in front (rather, it works but it generates the warning message). This is also the first certificate I've installed since upgrading to 7.5.1, so I'm wondering what's going on and why my other certificates work fine with "www." and this one doesn't.

I've installed THAWTE certificates before and they all seem to work that way.. I do believe that there is an option (costs more money) when ordering your cert from THAWTE that will cover you for both www and non www domain names.

Back