• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved SSL It - HSTS appearing twice in headers

This bug is still NOT RESOLVED, it's a really annoying issue!!!

View attachment 25801
We would appreciate it you share some additional details regarding your server/domain/settings, e.g.
  • What OS and Plesk versions are used?
  • What version of SSL It! is installed?
  • Do you use Cloudflare or something similar in front of a website?
  • What other headers present in the server's response? URL?
  • How do you check headers, what tool / online resource?
I have checked two of my websites (one of them is connected to Cloudflare) with laptop's browser (and with at least two online tools) and do not found doubled HSTS headers.

Maybe added by an additional directive in either the web server configuration page or by an entry in .htaccess?

We would appreciate it you share some additional details regarding your server/domain/settings, e.g.
  • What OS and Plesk versions are used?
  • What version of SSL It! is installed?
  • Do you use Cloudflare or something similar in front of a website?
  • What other headers present in the server's response? URL?
  • How do you check headers, what tool / online resource?
I have checked two of my websites (one of them is connected to Cloudflare) with laptop's browser (and with at least two online tools) and do not found doubled HSTS headers.
  • I use a shared server hosting and the server uses Plesk for Windows 18.0.34 according the support team.
  • I use Let's Encrypt R3 SSL cert.
[Images removed on user request]

• I don't use cloudflare or similar tunnel or something else.
  • I use almost 20 header for CORS.
  • I'm a developer and I'm coding everything myself in the website backend/frontend. I don't use a tool. I check these headers from direct browser console. By the way, I also manually add all the other headers myself and the others are adding properly only once.
So, could you check it from [URL removed on user request]

Last edited by a moderator:
@g.u.r.k.a.n, thank you very much for the detailed answer, many details usually help a lot!
I can confirm that I see two HTST headers in browser's console for your domain.

The first thing that alerted me was that you are using an old version of Plesk, apparently the last update was made 3 years ago. I guess this is due to the legacy operational system, which has also reached its EOL state. Unfortunately, because of this, I cannot check for a bug on the versions you are using, these versions are not supported. And even if we confirm and fix the bug, you will not be able to install the fixed version on your system until you update your system and Plesk to supported versions.

Anyway, I will try to reproduce the bug on Windows Server 2022 with Plesk 18.0.59 (with SSL It! 1.14.6, Let's Encrypt 3.2.4) and come back with a result.

Last edited:
I have checked on the latest versions (Windows 2022, Plesk 18.0.59), as you can see, there is only one HSTS header,

1711364369519.png

So, from my side, I would suggest doing the next steps,
  • verify that nothing (except Plesk) adds HSTS headers on the website and/or server side,
  • try to reproduce the issue on the updated (and supported) environment, sort of staging environment,
    • If it reproducible, share with us steps to reproduce, it will help investigate the issue faster.
      Also, when you use supported versions, it should be possible to contact the Support team to investigate the issue on the server.
    • If the issue disappear on the latest versions, makes sense to plan upgrading to the latest versions.

1711364326021.png

1711364383232.png

@AYamshanov, the 2 years in the picture you attached is actually the best practice for the header. Actually, if I turn off HSTS, the duplicate one is not added, but this is not a solution for me. Because I want to change it to 2 years or at least 6 months, not the default value.

In short, if the certificate HSTS is turned off, it overrides the value I send manually, and when it is turned on, it adds it with the value I sent. So in this case, the issue is not only that it is duplicate, but also that the value sent is being overrided.

For a complete solution, I think you, the Plesk Team, should add a numeric option for max-age value in Plesk for the header to next versions.

hm... Does this mean that you are actually manually sending another header in addition to the one that Plesk adds?

And if you want to change "max-age" to "2 years", could you please check HSTS settings in the "SSL It!" extension and select the last item in the list? I hope it should help to solve the initial issue.
1711373812119.png

@AYamshanov the problem is already exact this option :) I cannot override it. When I turn on the HSTS only the time value should change.

HSTS off
hsts-off.PNG

HSTS on (In this case I don't want the first one)
hsts-on.PNG

I don't understand where the first value comes from (2592000 secs = 30 days). If it is set manually somewhere in the website code, makes sense to remove it and enable HSTS in the Plesk only.

At the moment I think that there is no bug in Plesk. Theoretically, it could be some kind of a feature request to allow Plesk to override the headers but don't remember someone else asking about such feature (also not sure about technical possibility to do that, some research is required).

@AYamshanov
I don't understand where the first value comes from
I can't find it either. The isn't any Strict-Transport-Security header when I debug on development envorinment. And also, I have added almost all headers as I said before and I don't add Strict-Transport-Security on the dev. It's just added in the product environment in a way I don't understand.

I said that "You should add an option" because the plesk is in the last point in any request. I mean, even browsers may also take responsibility for this case in the next years.

I don't want to slow down it, but if this issue bothers me more, I'm going to temporarily manually remove this automatically added header with extra lines of code :) Thanks for your interest.

Back