• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG on whole server

Sellighsphire

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.55 Update #1
Hi!

One Site had some problem showing wordpress-backend, so I tried to change hosting-settings from FPM apache to FastCGI Apache, which doesn't solved the problem. After changing back I couldn't reach the site. I was always getting the error:
AH01797: client denied by server configuration:

So I googled and found some issues concerning modsecurity, so I turned it off, but this doesn't helped at all. After turning it on again, _all_ other sites on this installation failed to load. They all showed the SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG error.
After restarting apache, all sites are running again. But after aprox. 2 minutes, all sites are off again.

I then found a "solution", that I should adapt the ip-settings from my server. There was the public ip missing and I changed the ssl-type from default to "lets encrypt", which I am using on all sites on my server.

Now, it seems, that all sites are (still) running, but I am unsure, if this fixed my problem (for ever)
Can someone please give me some advice?

regards
Jens

One possible cause for "SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG" can be that the port configuration of Apache is wrong.
  • 1) Connect to the server via SSH.

• 2) Edit the file /etc/apache2/ports.conf and remove the directive related to all ports but 80 and 443 inside <IfModule ssl_module>:
    # head /etc/apache2/ports.conf | grep -v "#"

Listen 80
    <IfModule ssl_module>
    Listen 443
    </IfModule>

• 3) Enable the SSL module:
    # a2enmod ssl

• 4) Restart Apache to apply the new configuration:
    # systemctl restart apache2

Another cause can be a malfunctioning or outdated web browser or a security software on the client that interferes with the network traffic.

now, I'm confused. See my actual ports.conf:

# If you just change the port or add more ports here, you will likely also
# have to change the VirtualHost statement in
# /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf

Listen 7080

<IfModule ssl_module>
Listen 7081
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_gnutls.c>
Listen 7081
</IfModule>

# vim: syntax=apache ts=4 sw=4 sts=4 sr noet

Seems to me, that ports-setting is totally wrong.

With Nginx/Apache combination it looks correct, because there Apache is addressed by ports 7080 and 7081 and responds to Nginx on these ports. So if your websites are working now, you are all set.

Back