1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Strange QMail errors

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by Earendil, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Earendil

Earendil Guest

Since a couple of days these errors have been showing up in my maillog:

Oct 25 20:30:50 server1 qmail: 1130265050.866771 status: local 2/10 remote 0/20
    Oct 25 20:30:50 server1 qmail: 1130265050.874048 delivery 3: deferral: Aack,_child_crashed._(#4.3.0)/
    Oct 25 20:30:50 server1 qmail: 1130265050.874082 status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
    Oct 25 20:30:50 server1 qmail: 1130265050.874311 delivery 4: deferral: Aack,_child_crashed._(#4.3.0)/
    Oct 25 20:30:50 server1 qmail: 1130265050.874335 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
    Oct 25 20:31:23 server1 qmail: 1130265083.786665 status: exiting

This is on a CentOS 4.2 box (so basically RHEL4).
    After I run a /usr/local/psa/bin/mchk it all works fine again, until a few hours later, when it starts all over again.
    Does anyone have any idea?

Already reinstalled qmail by the way.

2. CoKo

CoKo Guest

3. Earendil

Earendil Guest

I checked it out, but it seems none of the users are using autoresponders.

4. CoKo

CoKo Guest

If you can reproduce the error by sending a mail to one of the mail boxes - can you please post the .qmail file from that mail directory?

5. Earendil

Earendil Guest

Just in time for another one to hang ;)

Code:
    [root@server1 /]# cat /var/qmail/mailnames/domain.net/tanja/.qmail
    | /usr/bin/odeiavir
    | if [ -z "$SA" ]; then export SA=1; /usr/local/psa/bin/psa-spamc -u [email]tanja@domain.net[/email] -U /tmp/spamd_full.sock > spamcheck$$; /var/qmail/bin/qmail-local "$USER" "$HOME" "$LOCAL" "" "" "$HOST" "$SENDER" "$DEFAULT" < spamcheck$$; retval=$?; rm -f spamcheck$$; [ $retval = 0 ] && exit 99; exit $retval; fi # ACCEPT UCE
    | true
    ./Maildir/
    [root@server1 /]#

I replaced the actual domain with domain.net

6. Earendil

Earendil Guest

I should probably mention that after I run mchk again, the .qmail shows this:

Code:
    | if [ -z "$SA" ]; then export SA=1; /usr/local/psa/bin/psa-spamc -u [email]tanja@domain.net[/email] -U /tmp/spamd_full.sock > spamcheck$$; /var/qmail/bin/qmail-local "$USER" "$HOME" "$LOCAL" "" "" "$HOST" "$SENDER" "$DEFAULT" < spamcheck$$; retval=$?; rm -f spamcheck$$; [ $retval = 0 ] && exit 99; exit $retval; fi # ACCEPT UCE
    | true
    ./Maildir/

Notice the absence of /usr/bin/odeiavir

7. CoKo

CoKo Guest

I would recommend the following to find the problem:

- Try sending a mail yourself to that mailbox to see if the problem is persistent.

- Backup the .qmail

- Remove all lines from qmail and place the following inside:

| true
    ./Maildir/

- send another mail - when it gets delivered, add the lines from the backed up file one by one top down and checking always with a mail if it still works.

- tell us what happened :)

8. CoKo

CoKo Guest

Seems like your antivirus kit is broken?!

Which one do you use?

9. Earendil

Earendil Guest

Standard DrWeb

10. CoKo

CoKo Guest

Seems its either broken or (again) not working. (or simply the service stopped?)

A lot of my clients threw out DrWeb because of huge problems like the one you have now. SW-Soft never came with a working solution :(

All people I know changed to ClamAV + qmail-scanner. Works fast and reliable with Plesk...

If you don't trust freeware projects I recommend 4PSA virus scanner - they use f-prot. The product is called something like "4PSA clean server" or so...

11. Earendil

Earendil Guest

Yup, it's definately DrWeb.
    When I remove the line, email gets delivered, when it gets added... right, no mail.
    Thanks for making me realise that :)

And you know what.. this is the only server that doesn't run 4PSA clean server - guess it's time to change that ;)