• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Subdomains not resolving (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN) for staging environment

mathi_reg

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I'm rather new to plesk, however I've of course googled quite a bit and also stumbled over some potential answers but couldn't quite figure out the right solution myself.

- I'm running plesk on an EC2 machine.
- I'm pointing a Domainname xyz.com to the plesk server. This works fine and xyz.com is resolving and also xyz.com:8443 is going to the plesk login page.
- Also other domains/subscriptions that I'm pointing to it resolve and work.

However, for staging purposes of new webproject I always want to create a subdomain like projectname.xyz.com

This however always leads to a (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN) in all browsers.

I've read about some DNS stuff here in the forum, that confused me more than it helped me.
Maybe you can help me out with this as this would be an important step to work with this.
I hope I don't have to create a seperate DNS entry on my domainproviders DNS list for the subdomain for this?

And another quick question would be if it is possible to create a plesk user for a subdomain only on the main domain of the plesk environment. So that I could give away Hosting Access to projectname.xyz.com only.

Thanks for helping me out here.
Matt

Hello,

I'm rather new to plesk, however I've of course googled quite a bit and also stumbled over some potential answers but couldn't quite figure out the right solution myself.

- I'm running plesk on an EC2 machine.
- I'm pointing a Domainname xyz.com to the plesk server. This works fine and xyz.com is resolving and also xyz.com:8443 is going to the plesk login page.
- Also other domains/subscriptions that I'm pointing to it resolve and work.

However, for staging purposes of new webproject I always want to create a subdomain like projectname.xyz.com

This however always leads to a (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN) in all browsers.

I've read about some DNS stuff here in the forum, that confused me more than it helped me.
Maybe you can help me out with this as this would be an important step to work with this.
I hope I don't have to create a seperate DNS entry on my domainproviders DNS list for the subdomain for this?

And another quick question would be if it is possible to create a plesk user for a subdomain only on the main domain of the plesk environment. So that I could give away Hosting Access to projectname.xyz.com only.

Thanks for helping me out here.
Matt

Hello,
for each subdomain you have to add an additional DNS entry pointing to your server IP.
Otherwise, you can set a wildcard to automatically point all subdomains on your server IP.

About creating a subscription for a subdomain, it's possible but it will be counted as a domain for your Plesk license.

Hey there,

i pointed a wildcard *.xyz.com to my IP now.
Thanks for the tip. This seems to work except for the SSl …

on my regular xyz.com domain for the Plesk Server I force SSl and it always jumps to https.

For the subdomain projectname.xyz.com it says "Not secure" as it is resolving in https and also SSL is enabled automatically for this subdomain.

- SSL/TLS support
- Permanent SEO-safe 301 redirect from HTTP to HTTPS

Both options checked for the subdomain. Any ideas so that all those subdomains also work with SSL?

So you're trying to access Plesk over SSL via any subdomain on your domain?

You'll need a wildcard SSL.

Hey there,

i pointed a wildcard *.xyz.com to my IP now.
Thanks for the tip. This seems to work except for the SSl …

on my regular xyz.com domain for the Plesk Server I force SSl and it always jumps to https.

For the subdomain projectname.xyz.com it says "Not secure" as it is resolving in https and also SSL is enabled automatically for this subdomain.

- SSL/TLS support
- Permanent SEO-safe 301 redirect from HTTP to HTTPS

Both options checked for the subdomain. Any ideas so that all those subdomains also work with SSL?

Hello,
you can automate Let's Encrypt Certificates installation when you create a new subdomain in your services plans settings :

Screenshot241.png

Back