• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Suddenly getting ASL errors today

Hi trialotto,

I have now undone my "wrong" fix and applied yours.
I am still getting the error code 127.

Can you explain why there is no "/var/asl/bin/asl"?
I have this on multiple systems. This file is totally missing.

Looking forward to your reply.

Please excuse my previous wrong approach to fix the issue. I have marked the post to not use the mentioned workaround.

Regards
Kristian

@KristianM,

Your remarks concerning the issues are to the point, thank you!

It is indeed mind-boggling to find out that the "asl" binary or script is missing, but still is called in various cronjobs (and one Plesk 12.0.18 instance did not even have those cronjobs).

It is also mind-boggling that the "asl_cli_c" script (what is in a word?) is present, since it has no function at all, if I am not mistaken.

I am running some tests on multiple machines, with

- one with the key-value pair REPUTATION_FREQUENCY="hourly" (to enforce specific exit codes),
- one with the key-value pair REPUTATION_FREQUENCY="daily" (to suppress specific exit codes),
- some other machines with various settings and/or combinations of Apache restarts (to determine the importance of the Apache restart),

and it seems to be the case that

- using the key-value pair REPUTATION_REPORT="no", OR
- adjusting the cronjobs (which is rather equivalent to commenting specific lines out),

will suppress the annoying the exit code 127.

It has become a "waiting game", I am rather surprised that this issue (and other issues) are not picked up by Atomicorp or Plesk Team.

I will keep you informed, since it seems to be the case that we will have to create a "work-around", if my earlier solution for the "exit code 127" issue was incorrect.

Regards.....

Last edited:
@trialotto
I have just edited /etc/asl/config and set:
REPUTATION_REPORT="no"

Now there is no more Error code 127.
So that seems to fix it, as it skips the part in the cron that is returning the error :)

Regards,
Kristian

@Grey,

Made some changes, I must admit that it was a whole lot to type and a whole lot to investigate (and time is a scarce resource).

I am pretty sure that some other "edits" will follow sooner or later, keep track of it, comments are always welcome!

Regards.......
No worries. We're all here to help each other. I'm very grateful for the help so far, so fixing some typo's along the way is the least I can do.

@trialotto
REPUTATION_REPORT="no"

So that seems to fix it, as it skips the part in the cron that is returning the error :)

Regards,
Kristian
Confirmed.

Guys, just look at the facts:
  1. /etc/asl/config is maybe 1 bytes
  2. /etc/asl/config.dpkg-dist is missing username password ...and configured=no
  3. look into /var/asl/rbc/etc/asl/config and if you had ASL running on your plesk, you probably find the config which includes the last working version
Currently i copied that config back to /etc/asl tomorrow we'll see if it helped.

@KristianM, (and @Grey,)

I was reading this

REPUTATION_REPORT="no"

So that seems to fix it, as it skips the part in the cron that is returning the error

and thinking out loud: didn´t I say that?!????

Well, to be honest, I meant to say that, but seem to be lazy enough to do a copy/paste without changing "yes" to "no" in my last post.

I am laughing a little bit here.

But hey! Fair is fair, @KristianM gets the scoop now.

Bloody hell, I am getting a bit annoyed by this "regular update fluke".

Let´s be serious again: the key-value pair REPUTATION_REPORT="no" is a "work-around", it is not a solution (in some circumstances, it can be a very bad setting).

In short, I am still hoping that Atomicorp creates a quick fix.

Actually, while we are at it, can you have a look at the rkhunter binary? (current version 1.3.4; latest version 1.4.2; part of psa-watchdog package)

Regards........

Hi everyone, please subscribe for the updates to this KB article https://kb.plesk.com/en/129494 as soon as Atomic provide the fix, we'll update it and you will be notified.
Hi, thank you but i can't abo that Article "Abonnement wird erstellt: ArticleID -Parameter angeben" its a Error.... Tried it 6 times and now i'm annoyed.

i followed the Article, made these changes and we'll see if it helps.
i had more Emails this Morning and new Config from this Day.....

Can confirm what daanse says. Since this morning my config has been deleted and getting emails with error 1 again since 6.29 am.

/etc/cron.daily/asl:

Error: ASL has not been configured

run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/asl exited with return code 1​

was obviously a temporary solution ....
1. jepp I received the error code 127 too
2. this night was something reconfigured, file gone, error back

I think here, we need help from plesk.
We need another microupdate with a fix für this problem ....

What does ASL do anyway? Is it safe to just disable the cron jobs for now? Im tired of this until it became permanently fixed.

Made a rollback from KristianM's solution and hope parallels will provide a fix soon...

P.S.: KB129494 was review on Aug 12, 2016 - maybe a working fix now?

What surprises me is, that in the night the config file was overwritten with "nothing" ..
will this be happen again this night ?
Or did the command /var/asl/bin/aum -c generated a file that would be taken to overwrite the one under /etc/asl ?

We will see the coming night, what will be happen.
I did all the steps descriped above ...

thanks for this Workaround ......

Back