• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Support for CentOS 7.9 > AlmaLinux 8.x migration?

Bitpalast

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Guru
I found this tool to directly upgrade CentOS 7.9 to AlmaLinux8.4:
Regarding the large number of CentOS 7.x users: Has Plesk considered supporting such an in-place upgrade?

+1
Looking forward to see Plesk Support Distri Upgrade 7 -> 8 with ELevate ... would save us lot's of time getting rid of the old C7 Servers ...

Just wondering if theres been any update on this, cpanel seem to be working on their own version of Elevate, has there been any progress from Plesk?

Plesk is working on an integration of ELevate into Plesk so that Plesk users with CentOS 7.9 can do an in-place upgrade to Alma 8.x. Please be patient. An alpha version will be coming soon for a selected user group and first tests. A public beta or production version is expected during 2023, but no fixed date is known yet, because it is a quite complex task.

Hi everyone, any update since January 2023 on the topic? It would be really great to have a path to move from Centos 7.9 to Almalinux 8 supported by Plesk, avoiding the need to go to EOL Centos 8. Thx

I almost hate to ask this after waiting so long for a solution, but why exactly is this migration tool not upgrading the CentOS 7 users to AlmaLinux 9? (or does it?)

@G J Piper There is no direct upgrade path from Alma 8 to Alma 9 and the ELevate project does not offer a solution for that either. For that reason it is not possible to upgrade from CentOS 7 to Alma 9. Personally I believe that it is already magic that an upgrade von CentOS 7 to Alma 8 is possible, because never before has it been possible to upgrade from one CentOS major version to another "in-place", not to speak about changing the operating system itself.

By the way, have you seen the public beta announcement in the changelog for the Plesk upgrade solution? It was announced on April 25th, 2023:
  • (Plesk for Linux) CentOS 7 reaches end of life on June 30, 2024. We have prepared a public beta CLI script that in-place converts your Plesk server on CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8. You can use the script to convert your Plesk server and check the result before CentOS EOL.
    Please report any issues related to the conversion on GitHub and/or send us feedback to [email protected]. While this script is in beta, we do not provide help with the conversion via Plesk Support.

@G J Piper There is no direct upgrade path from Alma 8 to Alma 9 and the ELevate project does not offer a solution for that either. For that reason it is not possible to upgrade from CentOS 7 to Alma 9. Personally I believe that it is already magic that an upgrade von CentOS 7 to Alma 8 is possible, because never before has it been possible to upgrade from one CentOS major version to another "in-place", not to speak about changing the operating system itself.
It appears they do have a path from AlmaLinux 8 to 9 now. I'll be interested to hear someone's experience with doing the upgrade path they list showing:
CentOS 7 --> AlmaLinux 8 --> AlmaLinux 9

Back