• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Support for PHP 8.0 in Plesk

c0m

Basic Pleskian
PHP 8.0 got released yesterday.

Please add support for it in Plesk.

+1

For a new project I also need PHP 8 running as soon as possible. Unfortunately there still seems to be problems with Plesk at the moment.
I installed it on Ubuntu with:
sudo apt-get install php-fpm8.0

After that I added a new php_handler with:
plesk bin php_handler --add -displayname "Custom PHP 8.0" -path /usr/bin/php -clipath /usr/bin/php -phpini /etc/php/8.0/fpm/php.ini -type fpm -service php-fpm8.0 -poold /etc/php/8.0/fpm/pool.d

This worked successfully but when trying to select it in Plesk the following error occurs: Skjermbilde 2020-11-27 kl. 23.00.45.png
Is there any quick fix to solve this error? Any answer would be highly appreciated :)

May I suggest updating your depreciation table in that case? According to the depreciation plan, Plesk Obsidian 18.0.33 should be released in November which is now impossible.Schermafbeelding 2020-12-01 om 14.34.18.png

MitchellvB995,

Thank you for the note!

I have notified an appropriate team. They will fix it.

i think i would love PHP 8.0 sounds great that plesk already is working on the topic :)

the JIT Compiler claimed to be 30% faster than PHP 7.4

JIT Compiler claimed to be 30% faster than PHP 7.4

PHP 8.0 isn't anywhere near 30% faster than PHP 7.4. It is faster, but only by a couple of percent depending on the task. The performance jump from PHP 7 -> 8 will be minor and not as big as the difference that was observed from PHP 5 -> 7.

JIT will not magically speed-up 99% of sites running on PHP - for the majority of code written in PHP, JIT will have no or very minimal effect.

It takes a very specific use-case where JIT will be beneficial, but this is not the usual PHP code that's used to retrieve some content from a database and generate HTML markup like the majority of websites such as WordPress which will not see any significant improvement from JIT.

Yeah, PHP 8.0 may sound nice and shiny, but so many people will be disappointed pretty fast, when they realize that literally no existing PHP based project/application will run with it yet. (and may not do so for a long time forward)

PHP 8.0 is now supported.

Note: PHP 8 is still very recent (it came out on November 26) and includes significant changes, including the removal of deprecated functions and changes to how code works.

Because of this, many PHP applications that were written for PHP 5 and PHP 7 may not work correctly with PHP 8. This includes WordPress, which will fix most (but not all) PHP 8 compatibility issues in version 5.6 that will be released on December 8.

PHP 8 will not be included into the “Recommended” installation set and won’t be installed on new servers or when updating to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.32.

Reactions: c0m
  1. xmlrpc extension is no longer available (upstream discontinued its support).
  2. ionCube loader extension is not available yet (no version compatible with PHP 8).
  3. imagick extension is not available yet (no version compatible with PHP 8).

Back