• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

sw-engine fails to start

StevieW

New Pleskian
Hi guys,

on a fresh installation of Ubuntu (at first 14.04 but on 12.04 the same problem occurs) I installed Plesk via the autoinstaller.
It seems to be all fine except I cannot open Plesk in the browser.

The web browser shows "502 Bad Gateway", a look into the error_log at "/var/log/plesk/sw-cp-server" shows the following error:
Code:
2014/08/11 09:37:22 [crit] 4988#0: *4 connect() to unix:/var/run/sw-engine.sock failed (2: No such file or directory) while connecting to upstream, client: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, server: , request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/sw-engine.sock:", host: "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443"

So the problem seems to be the sw-engine service that cannot be started.
If I try to start it manually with `/etc/init.d/sw-engine start` it just fails:
Code:
 * Starting Plesk engine pool manager sw-engine-fpm           [fail]

I have no idea where to find any startup error log for sw-engine, where I could find any further information.
I hope you can help me! :)

With a friend I found the bug.

The following solves or (at least) bypasses the bug:

1.) Open /opt/psa/admin/conf/php.ini with a editor of your choice
2.) Comment out the last line so you get:
Code:
;zend_extension = "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/php/modules/sw-engine/opcache.so"
(Mind the semicolon at the beginning)
3.) Save & close the file.
4.) Restart plesk
Code:
/etc/init.d/psa stopall && /etc/init.d/psa startall

I can't explain it, but at least it solved the problem for me.

And it seems that this is a common error on Virtual Servers by the german hosting provider 1und1.

Back