• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Switch Server OS

FlyingParrot

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7 / Ubuntu 22
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.47 Update 2
Hey,
I stuck in a huge problem right now and need professional help.

I currently have a virtual server with plesk based on CentOS 7. Now, I want to convert my os to Ubuntu 22. Now I have two servers with different IP and hotname.
Whats the best way to move all data from the old one to the new server?

I searched a lot on the internet and tried the following things:

- Create complete Plesk backup, download and upload to new server, import:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work as expected. After import, I was not able to access plesk anymore, so I decided to rollback.

- Plesk migrator:
Added credentials of old server and it stuck at "Preparing migration - Check connections" for like 30 minutes blocking the whole server meanwhile. I am able to access the old server via Putty on SSH but new server can't connect for some reason (even with disabled firewall)

- Create complete Plesk backup except server configuration:
This is by far the best solution I've had yet. But unfortunately, when using root sftp, it says permission denied to all domain directories (different user than on the old server). When changing owner and groups of that directory, plesk detects wrong permissions.

Could you help me please how to move plesk system to a whole new server (new ip, new hostname, new root user, same plesk version)?

Thank you!

I would suggest using Plesk Migrator. The migration process is done by establishing an ssh connection. First, make sure that you can ssh connect as a root user from one server to the other without any problems.

Edit file /etc/ssh/sshd_config and enable SSH authentication by password:

PasswordAuthentication yes

Great. Now, I'm getting the following errors/warnings:plesk migration error.png

The list was way bigger before but I fixed a lot by my own.

To 1st:
systemd is not installed on my new server, so how do I do this?

To 2nd:
It says, the modules are disabled on the destination server. But in they're not even listed in the module list at "Tools/Settings -> Apache Webserver" so I think they're not even installed, right? How do I fix this? Same way as for systemd?

To 3rd:
I have a total of 6 domains and 18 subdomains and I have no clue what that error exactly means. I've created that subdomain like every other one but the error/warning only appears at the one showing on the image.

Another question before I continue:
Do you recommend to use the migrator on a complete fresh server installation?

Thank you for helping me out!

a) ignore the systemd message, will no affect you (yes, apache2 modules may no longer be available on new/different servers, but that only happens to more or less completely irrelevant ones)

b) seems like you have configured a password protected directory with no name? on the source server and this is what's causing that warning
my guess is that you can ignore that one, as you don't use it anyway? Or is this maybe a password protection on the root folder of this website, but it's missing the "/"?

a) ignore the systemd message, will no affect you (yes, apache2 modules may no longer be available on new/different servers, but that only happens to more or less completely irrelevant ones)

b) seems like you have configured a password protected directory with no name? on the source server and this is what's causing that warning
my guess is that you can ignore that one, as you don't use it anyway? Or is this maybe a password protection on the root folder of this website, but it's missing the "/"?
Well, I've just deleted that subdomain. I don't need it anymore and migration worked without any problem after trying agian.
Currently, everything is working as expected except for Horde locale.

Back