• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Template Width

S

snyhof

I can kind of understand why all your templates are designed to be flexible. Even your documentation suggests that we design our templates so the width is not fixed.

Let me add my two cents...

Most websites today are being designed as a fixed width. I can tell that when a company is on the more technological side, that their web sites tend to be a little wider than 800 pixels.

Many web sites range from 640 to 1000 pixels in width. This is most likely the reason for the non-fixed template.

My clients and their customers are going to be from the group that removes the computer from the box and plugs it in. By default the screen is set to 1024 x 768 and life is good with Internet Explorer.

They know nothing of fire fox or any of the other browsers. But we need to do our best to develop for everyone - I understand.

Then their system crashes and it boots back up in the default 640 x 480 mode. And from then on, this is how they work, day in and day out. I have even seen this on 17 and 19 inch screens. When I go setup something on their computer, I ask if they like working with such a little desktop area, they say it just changed and it's been that way ever sense.

I am hoping most new computers default to 1024 or even 1280 when they crash and reset any changed settings.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that most people, who would even consider building a web site from a site builder like SB, know so little about computers. I have not met a single person yet that knows how to setup a nice page using tables, or even understand how to justify an image left or right.

So what does all this have to do with adjustable width templates, these people need all the help they can get, and a fixed width template help organize their content, what they see in the editor is what they get and everybody else gets when viewed on the Internet.

Not sure what defaulting an image to left justified on insert would do, but for me it would probably require less support than someone getting frustrated and asking how to adjust the justification of images.

Also, being able to upload header images with header background images is a bit poorly done if you ask me. Currently I design every template for my clients. Fixed at 800 pixels, and they can upload a header and not have to think about what the background is doing or what happens when their page is stretched, not to mention how the text and images on a page get all messed up.

I would vote for some fixed width templates for future releases and updates. Point in hand - the swsoft web site is fixed at 750 pixels wide and reads very nice because of it.

Thank you Steve for such an encouraging feedback!

Historically, we had to opt for the liquid templates due to the multiple issues caused by various data people tend to enter into their sites. Sometimes they would upload a photo 1500px wide and it caused the nice fixed width layout to crash; sometimes they used a ReallyReallyLongPageTitlesBeyondAnyImagination and that caused the fixed layout tested on "Home"/"About"/"Contacts" to crash etc.

That's why we tended to require liquid design everywhere.

Unfortunately, that causes all those drawbacks you listed.
So now we are considering the new approach:
1. Make the width fixed
2. But make sure that it can expand smoothly to accomodate for the weird content

I appreciate your comments. I was just wondering mostly because I think fixed widths look better overall.

As we move into the future, our clients will have some more choices between the two types then.

Back