• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

The app requires the 'rewrite' web server module

PaddyBee

New Pleskian
I have a freshly installed 'Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1' VPS with Plesk 11.5.30.

When installing certain applications (for example, Dolphin, Elgg), it halts with the following error message:
Requirements: Apache module - The app requires the 'rewrite' web server module

When I check in Windows IIS Manager under Modules, I see RewriteModule is installed as a native module.
When checking the KB about this issue: http://kb.parallels.com/en/115659
it says to enable the rewrite module by ticking it in the 'Configure native modules' box.
However, that module is not even listed there, even though it clearly is listed in the main module overview as a native module.

Also, in Plesk > Tools & Settings > Server Management > Panel Components, URL rewrite is also listed:
URL Rewrite [Active] IIS URL Rewrite Module 2 7.2.2

So it's rather puzzling why it keeps saying it is not installed.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Well, either this is a very uncommon problem, or it's one which is not easily fixable.
Let me ask an additional question to anyone who is using Plesk on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box.
Do you get the same kind of error as I described in my above post when trying to install Dolphin or Elgg from the application list?
This was also tested on a Plesk 12, with the same result.

Back