• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved The FastCGI executable could not be found on PleskControlPanel (Port 8443)

Roy Kollmann

New Pleskian
After an antivirus software somehow crashed the update-process of plesk this weekend we are unable to access the PleskControlPanel.
The message shown is:
The FastCGI executable could not be found

I looked at the folder mentioned in https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213397929 but the only file that resembles the mentioned one is "plesk-engine_mu011.msi". When I execute it it only gives me the option to "Remove the Plesk Engine from computer". The "Repair" and "Install" part are greyed out.

Is this what I should do? Please provide me the steps to resolve our issue.

Thank you very much!

Hi Roy Kollmann,

Plesk Knowledge-Base - articles are written by experienced Plesk server administrators and Plesk developpers, so when they suggest to install "an older PHP version", they have tested such a work-around, to solve possible issue(s).

Pls. keep as well in mind, that Plesk Onyx comes as well with the "Plesk repair utility", which is able to investigate and solve quite a lot of issues/errors/problems. Consider to use this utility, before you move on with additional resolutions for possible issues. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi UFHH01,

thank you for your quick answer. I already tried the approach with the repair utility which sadly did not resolve the issue. I also tried the autoinstall tool to update again, which did not resolve it too. But thank you for the suggestions.

I understand that i have to install "an older PHP version" to resolve the issue. What I don't understand is if executing the file "plesk-engine_mu011.msi" and therefore clicking the option "Remove the Plesk Engine from computer" is the right step to do so.
If yes - do I have to use that executable again afterwards? What exactly does it do? Why is mine named "plesk-engine_mu011.msi" and not "plesk-engine.msi"?

In my eyes the article is not complete which stops me from doing anything as every mistake can cost us multiple thousands of dollars (productive server).

Hi Roy Kollmann,

sometimes your have to REMOVE a software, before you can re-install it on Windows systems ( such situations may happen in case that an upgrade/update procedure destroyed/deleted part of the initial libraries or executables. There is absolutely nothing wrong in de-installing a software and re-installing it, which is sometimes even implemented in the whole procedure. ;)

As you might notice, the additional "mu" - part indicates, that this file is a MICRO - UPDATE, which changes it's name, depending to the actual provided upgrades/updates. Pls. see as well: => http://autoinstall-win.plesk.com/PANEL-WIN_17.0.17/dist-msi-Microsoft-2003-i386/ to inform yourself about possible manual downloads of Plesk and it's components.

Hi UFHH01,

thank you for your quick reply again.
I now started the executable and removed the plesk engine. When trying to executing it again i get "This installation file is intended for use only by plesk installer. It cannot be used independently". Same with the "plesk-engine.msi" from the page you provided.
What do I have to do now?

Hi Roy Kollmann,

I recommend to use command line with the "plesk-installer.exe", as described at:

Pls. report back your complete steps and consider as well to include possible corresponding log - files, if you experience further issue(s)/error(s)/problem(s).
The issue is now resolved after following UFHH01s steps. I also had to remove the "<handlers>" node out of the web.config of the controlpanel website.

Thank you very much!

Back