• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved The Plesk file plesk-ext-ruby.list broke updates and monitoring on Plesk

PeopleInside

Regular Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

The Plesk file plesk-ext-ruby.list broke updates and monitoring on Plesk

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.46, Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Recently I moved to a new VPS server where Plesk is installed.
I discovered that:
  1. system update in the settings was not working
  2. Monitoring was not working and grafana extension and service was broken
  3. apt-get update was also broken thanks to this Plesk bug
I started different discussion and had various issue caused about that.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

I simply bought a new VPS Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.46 Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS where I discovered monitoring was not working.

Also going on Settings and tool, system update was not working

ACTUAL RESULT

Monitoring is not working, grafana is not working, system update is not working on a new installed Plesk Ubuntu server.

apt-get update was broken with the errors.

Also Plesk show errors when try to see Monitoring work:

code 1, stdout: , stderr: ERROR:__main__:Command '['apt-get', '-qq', 'update', '--allow-releaseinfo-change']' returned non-zero exit status 100. stdout: stderr:E: The repository 'http://autoinstall.plesk.com/RUBY_0.0.2 jammy Release' does not have a Release file. stdout: , stderr: ERROR:__main__:Command '['apt-get', '-qq', 'update', '--allow-releaseinfo-change']' returned non-zero exit status 100. stdout: stderr:E: The repository 'http://autoinstall.plesk.com/RUBY_0.0.2 jammy Release' does not have a Release file. Execution package has failed with exit

EXPECTED RESULT

All this errors should be not present.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The bug can be: The cause is that the repository has not been updated to support the current Ubuntu/Debian distribution.

This broke Ubuntu and Plesk update, broke Monitoring and grafana.
Looks to be a strong issue to me.

HOW I "resolved"

Seems I resolved by removing the file plesk-ext-ruby.list located at /etc/apt/sources.list.d
This was causing issue on Ubuntu apt update and Plesk updates and also to grafana extension install and monitor that was broken.

Now I can stay with this file removed or what I need to do?
All seems work without this file.

Source of "solution": Force update from unsigned repository

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

From the developer:

Ruby extension isn't available on Ubuntu 22, so installing Ruby using AI or through the panel is impossible.
But it's still possible to install ruby through CLI, so I guess someone did it using CLI (probably VPS maker).

I've filled EXTRUBY-111 to force the extension to perform cleanup if the installation hasn't finished successfully.
As a workaround you may remove `/etc/apt/sources.list.d/plesk-ext-ruby.list`

Are there any chances, the Ruby-extension will be available in Ubuntu 22?
It still seems to be maintained (last update in march 2023) but it wont install propperly.

What exactly does that mean?
The userexperience is: it is available and throws an error on installation.
My application would also be compatible with ruby 3. Is there a way to make it work?
Otherwise i'd need to find a way to dockerize the whole thing.

It means that Ruby is not available on Ubuntu 22 and at the moment there are no plans to have it available there, because of the technical issue with OpenSSL 3.

Hi, Ruby supports Ubuntu 22.04, Almalinux 9, and RHEL 9 since the 1.4.5 version released on the 18th of April, 2023.

I've filled EXTRUBY-111 to force the extension to perform cleanup if the installation hasn't finished successfully.
As a workaround you may remove `/etc/apt/sources.list.d/plesk-ext-ruby.list`

Also let me adding, that EXTRUBY-111 is already fixed. It was done as PPP-58250 in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.47

Back