• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

"The SMTP server service is switched off"

B

batman4444

I am having some issues with the Plesk control panel
When I click on any of the following:

Clients
Domains
System
Server
Sessions

I get the following error:

--Plesk diagnostics
Problems found:
The SMTP server service is switched off.
Solutions:
Restart the SMTP server service.

If select to restart the service, I still get the exact same error. This error message prevents me from accessing these parts of the cp (including server-->mail set up).

I am kinda new to this, but have found some other people with this same problem, but no solutions.

At first I tried uninstalling the mailman / spamassasin applications to see if this would resolve my issue, but it still persists.

Next I checked my smtp_psa file to remove extra RBL in case this was the issue, however doesnt look like any are currently being used (im not sure i have correctly disabled the RBL lists, but this is how my smtp_psa currently looks)

service smtp
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = yes
user = root
instances = UNLIMITED
env = SMTPAUTH=1 POPLOCK_TIME=20
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
}

Any Ideas?
Thanks

Hi,

Was this on a Virtuozzo container by any chance? We receive these occasionally and have identified that its basically Plesk shrugging its shoulders, it knows something is wrong but hasn't a clue what.

We have received it for :

Out of memory.
Broken installs.
Configuring Plesk such that it has no clue what IP address it should be assigning new domains.

Paul.

It usually happens when load is "too high" (whatever high that is). It's supposed to be Plesk trying to be clever and adjusting services.

What I'd like to know is if there is a way to override this. Essentially to tell Plesk to stop trying to be smart and stopping services that it doesn't have a clue about.

I am havind the same problem since last 23th january:
(
The SMTP server service is switched off.
Solutions:
Restart the SMTP server service.
)
The qmail service is on, but now my SMTP service is not working. It seems to be right but it doesn't.
So I can not access to plesk pannel propertly.

Does anyone have the answer? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back