• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue The specified domain name is not a valid RFC domain : Customizing Plesk URL

Narender Kumar

New Pleskian
Not sure, why getting an error when trying to set new custom url.
1693475113053.png

Need help urgently.

"The specified domain name is not a valid RFC domain" means that the domain name you want to use is not a proper domain name as it would typically be registered on the Internet. Examples for possible names:
example.com
sub.example.com

The domain - I am using is registered on internet. As you could see the screen shot. Name is like .mydomainname.in and it's a valid domain. I feel.. Plesk is validating *com domain and sub-domain but it shall accept the .in. Localized domain names as well.

Please do not type the "https://", this is not part of the domain name. Just type the domainname, then it will work. There is no limitation for .in domains. But the "https://" is just not a part of the domain, it is a protocol definer used in browsers.

And did you try the advice given in the big box with the red exclamation mark and the read background color?

Thanks for clarification. I missed the phrase.

Now I have logged in with the Url. And updated the custom url.

But I am getting certificate issue.

How can I issue a certification plesk panle or upload extranal certificate for thie subdomain.
Please assist.

Thanks for your post.

This subdomain name is not the host name. It's a custom url which I am using as a url.. If I overwrite the domain name while reissue certificate then host name certificate is lost.

Could you please provide more details here? I think it is unclear why you mean by
If I overwrite the domain name while reissue certificate then host name certificate is lost.
What do you mean by "overwrite"? Where do you edit something and what do you mean by "host name certificate is lost"?

Ok.. Let me try to explain scenario..
My Server Host Name - hostname.example.in

And now I have created a subdomain like plesk.example.in which I have updated as custom Url for plesk use. Please refer the below screen.
1693662357131.png

Now custom url shall be protected with ssl certificate.
So where donI create/ update the certificate for this subdomain(plesk.example.in)

As suggested in the previous post, I went to SSL/TLS Cert under Tools Setting option.
1693662633892.png

Please refer the below screen

1693662708850.png

When I try click on +LetsEncrypt button to generate the certificate. It create the certificate for hostname by default.

1693662889051.png

I can update domain name and click on Reissue but hostname certificate which was already there. we lost.

If we keep hostname, then custom url which we placed. will be without SSL certificate.

Please suggest.

You need to add the domain as a domain, e.g. with the "Add Domain" button in "Domains" menu. Then create the certificate for it there.

But in the customize Url screen.
1693810728449.png

It mentions that - "The specified domain or subdomain that resolves to the server IP address but is not used for hosting".

So if we add this domain - then it will be used for hosting. And as per the above statement. We shall not use this custom url for hosting.

Please clarify?

I see, this can be misunderstood. It does not mean that the domain cannot exist on the server. It means that when you use it for the login page, you cannot at the same time use it for a website, because it is connected with the Plesk panel webserver in that case. You can add it with "Add Domain" and use it to login.

It did not work.. i am getting certificate error. As custom url. when I am trying. It's resulting into certificate error. Either the certificate assigned to domain which I created has not properly mapped to plesk custom url.. Not sure, how the newly created certificate under the newly set up domain certificate can be mapped for custom url.

Back