• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question The specified domain name is prohibited by the server-wide policy

Kaspar

API expert
Plesk Guru
When I am trying to add a subdomain for a certain domain I run in to an error saying: "Incorrect name sub.cut.com. The specified domain name is prohibited by the server-wide policy. If this domain belongs to you, please contact your hosting provider."

No matter what name I use for the subdomain, I always encounter this error. Both the selected service plan and subscription for the domain have unlimited subdomains enabled. The strange thing is that I can create subdomains for other domains that use the same service plan just fine.

I've also tried googled this error, but there where very little results. Non of them useful.

Please advice?

Hello Rasp,

The first thing that springs to mind is that the parent domain name ("cut.com" if it is indeed the domain name you're using and not an example) is in the list of prohibited domain names (a feature that prevents a malicious actor from intercepting other people's mail on shared hosting). Here's how you can check it:

1. Go to Tools & Settings > Prohibited Domain Names
  2. Check whether a) the feature is turned on (the "DIsable" button shows) and b) the domain name "cut.com" is in the list.
If the answer to both questions is "yes", than you can either temporarily disable the feature or remove "cut.com" from the list.

Hope this helps!

What the previous reply said. Do you have root access or are you on a shared server?

Hello Rasp,

The first thing that springs to mind is that the parent domain name ("cut.com" if it is indeed the domain name you're using and not an example) is in the list of prohibited domain names (a feature that prevents a malicious actor from intercepting other people's mail on shared hosting). Here's how you can check it:

1. Go to Tools & Settings > Prohibited Domain Names
  2. Check whether a) the feature is turned on (the "DIsable" button shows) and b) the domain name "cut.com" is in the list.
If the answer to both questions is "yes", than you can either temporarily disable the feature or remove "cut.com" from the list.

Hope this helps!

You're right, thnx. The domain name was listed on the Prohibited Domain Names list. Totally forgot I added the domain to the list when I setup my VPS.

Back