• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Thunderbird Setup Plesk vs cPanel

KrazyBob

Regular Pleskian
We run both Plesk and cPanel. With cPanel accounts Thunderbird creates an inbox, Drafts, Sent, Spam, Trash but with Plesk Thunderbird only creates an inbox. Bpth seem to see the mailbox as IMAP and I've never intended that.

Any suggestions? What is the difference between the servers?

Those email boxes exist on the server by default, so when connecting via IMAP you will see them right from the start. If you connect via POP3 then you only see the inbox, and your email program will create local Trash, Junk, Sent Mail, etc mailboxes as it needs them on your client computer.

IMAP accesses email on the server and leaves it there, putting mail into various folders that remain on the server, but it uses up a lot of disk space on the server.
POP3 accesses email that comes into the inbox on the server only, and removes it from the server after it copies the email to your client computer when it checks it (or soon after).

Most servers can connect in either format. It is just up to the user how they want to deal with their email — locally stored with unlimited space or remotely stored using up your server quota space.

Currently, the autodiscover features in Plesk only try to get people to set up their email clients in IMAP mode, but we've put out petitions to change that if they would.

The actual functionality of the email servers is independent of whether or not you have cPanel or Plesk running.

Last edited:
Thank you. But I'm not directing Thunderbird to set them up as IMAP. It goes through and automatically to text as you know and it figures out on its own I guess said it should be set up as IMAP. The most important thing to note though is that the directories are not being created. I've looked at the first five email addresses I've setup and all our setup is IMAP when I want POP3 since I sometimes leave content on the server and can retrieve it by my cell phone.

What's interesting though is it is setting porch 587 on one IMAP account for SMTP and 465 on another IMAP account.

I basically make the same settings when I set up an email account. In fact oh, I'm not familiar of any dialogue on the plesk side or cpanel for that matter where I get to specify that I wanted to function as an IMAP or is a POP3 account. As a result I don't know why it's setting account up differently. Some have normal passwords While others have encrypted passwords. I said all of my accounts up using let's encrypt so they show up is SSL / TLS. Sometimes though they show up as STARTTLS.

Complicating this slightly is that I've upgraded to obsidian and it has a different look looking feel then Onyx and I can't find certain things now. Like how do I turn on spamassassin and set it to the settings I want and then skip on over to antivirus and turn it on for inbound and outbound? My point is is I can't find anything anymore. LOL.

I suppose I could use manual config.

Thank you. But I'm not directing Thunderbird to set them up as IMAP. It goes through and automatically to text as you know and it figures out on its own I guess said it should be set up as IMAP. The most important thing to note though is that the directories are not being created. I've looked at the first five email addresses I've setup and all our setup is IMAP when I want POP3 since I sometimes leave content on the server and can retrieve it by my cell phone.

What's interesting though is it is setting porch 587 on one IMAP account for SMTP and 465 on another IMAP account.

I basically make the same settings when I set up an email account. In fact oh, I'm not familiar of any dialogue on the plesk side or cpanel for that matter where I get to specify that I wanted to function as an IMAP or is a POP3 account. As a result I don't know why it's setting account up differently. Some have normal passwords While others have encrypted passwords. I said all of my accounts up using let's encrypt so they show up is SSL / TLS. Sometimes though they show up as STARTTLS.

Complicating this slightly is that I've upgraded to obsidian and it has a different look looking feel then Onyx and I can't find certain things now. Like how do I turn on spamassassin and set it to the settings I want and then skip on over to antivirus and turn it on for inbound and outbound? My point is is I can't find anything anymore. LOL.

I suppose I could use manual config.
Yes, you want to do manual config if you wish to connect in POP3 mode (like I do) through any email client. This is my problem with the autodiscover/autoconfig as it currently is implemented too.

If you want to put in your 2-cents and vote for change here is the thread where we discussed it before:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am new to Thunderbird and used to manually setting up an account in Outlook. Over the years I have grown tired of paying the outrageous prices for Microsoft Office. So I switched to OpenOffice and Thunderbird. I would use Firefox but it has memory leaks and I'm constantly running out of memory even though I've got plenty and I go in and I see that Firefox has got a very long list of memory allocations. Not so bad with chrome. So even though I've been doing this for 40 years I'm green. Time to start over and let you young whippersnappers teach me.

This is going to sound stupid coming from a long time user (1997) but why would Thunderbird assume IMAP? We need to keep copies of correspondence. Any benefit? I have a test account with a large company and they seem to force IMAP and won't allow POP3. Saving space?

This is going to sound stupid coming from a long time user (1997) but why would Thunderbird assume IMAP? We need to keep copies of correspondence. Any benefit? I have a test account with a large company and they seem to force IMAP and won't allow POP3. Saving space?
Thunderbird doesn't assume it — Plesk's audodiscover instructs it to do IMAP specifically, not giving us a choice unless we modify the files manually.

I don't know why plesk would assume I'm app. We have support staff that runs from different locations depending on the state. We have two data locations. Everyone needs access to the support emails and if it's I map we have to switch to a Windows Exchange. Otherwise we'll have to switch to POP3 and for some reason it doesn't seem to like SSL / TLS. Confusing to this old fart.

Maybe the plesk moderator reading this group would like to join in. A little clairity would be helpful.

Thunderbird doesn't assume it — Plesk's audodiscover instructs it to do IMAP specifically, not giving us a choice unless we modify the files manually.

IMAP saves disk space but doesn't allow shared IMAP as far as I know without MS Exchange. We're a Linux house. Thanks for your guidance. I gave you a thumbs up.

Back