• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Tomcat manager with Plesk ?

raphneve

New Pleskian
Hello there,

I have Plesk 8.2 with the Tomcat module, so I can deploy and delete web apps.

However, I would like to get the functionality I had before (previous to having Plesk) where I had the "Tomcat Manager" web app (bundled with Tomcat 5.5). The advantage of this app is that (as well as allowing to deploy/undeploy apps like Plesk does) it allowed you to view the container JVM status, used memoty, etc.

So my question is : is there a way of accessing the good 'ole Tomcat manager web app even though tomcat is being managed by plesk ?

Hi,

assuming you are referring to the
manager app and not the admin app,
you can easily download the manager app
from tomcat.apache.org and add it to
your present Tomcat installation.

This also assumes you are the administrator of the server because if
you just have a client account on the
server then for obvious security reasons
you won't have access to such a privileged
resource, as the Plesk installed Tomcat
is run under a shared JVM.

Where is it ?

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is, I've scoured the net & I can't seem to find that manager application. I can find the "admin" web application on tomcat.apache.org, but even that isn't in WAR format, so I can't just upload it into Plesk.

Any ideas ?

Thanx !

In Tomcat 5.5x, the manager app is not located under the default webapps directory.
Instead it is located under ./server/webapps

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. So when I go into that dir, I can see the webapp, only how do I get it onto Plesk ? There is no war file to upload via the Plesk web interface ...?

On the server where Plesk is installed, the directory /usr/share/tomcat5/server/webapps does indeed have a "manager" sub directory, but how do I access that application from one of my plesk domains ?

As mentioned in my previous reply, you will not be able to access the manager app directly
from plesk per the security issues mentioned.

You would need to setup a separate listener in the server.xml and access it directly.
You would also probably need to edit the security manager.

Back