• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

tomcat problem

H

hostingon1998

hello,
we installed plesk and purchased the tomcat add-on. when we upload our jsp files and try to view the site in a browser, it displays the source code in the browser. Tomcat is shown to be running in plesk and we cannot find out what is causing the issue. Has anyone else faced similar issues? TIA

Must use war file

I trie dthe same thing. You must use war files., and upload them through the plesk interface.

HAving said that I still have major issues

any luck getting tomcat to work?

I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks!

Re: Must use war file

Originally posted by brian662
I trie dthe same thing. You must use war files., and upload them through the plesk interface.

HAving said that I still have major issues

Hi,

i have the same problem.

how i could create .war files?

It is worked only when install the .war file but it must indicate the port as 9080 such as

www.domainname.com:9080/jsp/test.jsp

I don't like something like that , that you cannot put your index page as index.jsp and run the dynamic website.

If you have any idea to install Tomcat separate from Plesk. Please let me know. Help me!

Manual Tomcat Config

Here are some tips to manually configure tomcat. There is a tomcat admin tool you can start up that may provide more options for you in addition to the Plesk war upload. I haven't used those methods however.

This assumes Tomcat 4.1 which is what is the std distribution now.. i use 5.x elsewhere but have not upgraded my psa system yet, right now 4.1 is adequate for my needs and already installed and working.

To manually set up tomcat you will need to edit config files located in /etc/tomcat4 These files are in XML format so be familiar with that or carefully match the way the examples look. <!-- --> are comments like HTML.

web.xml -- contains options
server.xml -- defines your virtual hosts and directories..
catalina.policy -- optionally open security permissions

There isn't that much you probably need to change in web.xml I add home.jsp to the default welcome-file-list. You can review the other options available.

In server.xml you need to define a Host in the correct place in the file which defines the virtual domain and the physical web hosting directory.

For my purposes i like to share my JSP directory with Apache dir for the domain but they do not have to be in the place.. A WEB-INF folder under the home for JSP will be where you put classes and jars for the site (domain specific).

Here's an example server.xml.

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">
<!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->

<Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

<!-- Define a Coyote/JK2 AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
<Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
port="8009" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
useURIValidationHack="false"
protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"/>

<Engine name="Apache" defaultHost="www.default.net" debug="0">

<Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt" debug="0"
timestamp="true"/>
<!-- Access log processes all requests for this virtual host. -->
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
directory="logs" prefix="tomcat_log." suffix=".txt"
pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>

<Host name="default.net" debug="0"
appBase="/var/www/vhosts/default.net/httpdocs"
unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="true">
<Alias>www.default.net</Alias>

<Context path="" docBase="" debug="0"/>

directory="logs" prefix="default_access." suffix=".log"
pattern="common" resolveHosts="false" debug="0"/>
</Host>

<Host name="domain2.com" debug="0"
appBase="/var/www/vhosts/domain2.com/httpdocs"
<Alias>www.domain2.com</Alias>

directory="logs" prefix="domain2_access." suffix=".log"
</Host>

<Host name="sub1.domain2.com" debug="0"
appBase="/var/www/vhosts/domain2.com/subdomains/sub1/httpdocs"

directory="logs" prefix="sub1_access." suffix=".log"
</Host>

</Engine>

</Service>

</Server>

Each Host tag defines another Virtual Domain (or sub-domain). The posting window lost all the indenting so sorry it's harder to read the file this way.

the other optional thing to do is to carefully open up security permissions by editing catalina.policy file.

Look for the section titled WEB APPLICATION PERMISSIONS

this section contains a:
grant {

permission java.xxxxx
permission java.xxxxx
etc..
}

These are fairly restrictive, they don't let one write files or connect to the mail server process, etc. for good reason. you can either open up permissions on a site by site basis or Jar file basis as documented in this file or see Tomcat docs online. If you have a secure development environment with trusted users.. you can add the line:

permission java.security.AllPermission;

here. only as much damage as the tomcat4 process user can be done to the system i suppose in this case :)

restart tomcat after making config changes with (fedora 2 core):
/etc/init.d/tomcat4 restart

check the log files at:
/var/log/tomcat4 to see how well it is working and to monitor System.out.println() in JSP files..

Good luck.

Do you know how to change port of JSP to 8080? I am not sure that would be caused effect to search engine that cannot spider this document. I also would like to do the mod-rewrite , I have done in httpdocs but when the jsp document is separate into other folder, what should I do?

If you have ever installed tomcat separately from tomcat, please advise, actually we would like to control the whole of tomcat that we can use .jsp without using any war file and also we can put the file in httpdocs.

tomcat running

I *finally* got tomcat configured to run jsp from the root directory with no port number. Is anyone still intrested in this thread??

Yes please.

Put in your solution for future problems!

I am also interested in this!

tomcat/java/jsp

This maybe a "hack" rather than a fix - I'm still looking into why this works.. but..

I loaded the war file via the plesk web app.
Then I edited server.xml:

<Host className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost" mapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostMapper" configClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig" errorReportValveClass="org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve" deployXML="true" contextClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext" name="moms-group.com" debug="0" appBase="psa-webapps/moms-group.com" unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="true" liveDeploy="true">
<Context path="" docBase="/var/tomcat4/psa-webapps/moms-group.com/mom.war" crossContext="false" reloadable="true"/>
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" debug="0" pathname="psa-users/borgar.com.xml" validate="true"/>
<Alias>
moms-group.com
</Alias>
<Alias>
www.moms-group.com
</Alias>
</Host>

Back