• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

tomcat unpack war files

ronv

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

After setting up Tomcat Java applications by uploading its .war file in Plesk, I hit different errors that all point to files not being found (java.io.FileNotFoundException, org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException, HTTP 500 status, ...).

I found the cause with the default "unpackWARs='false'" setting for each domain in the Plesk Tomcat server.xml file. I changed this to 'true' and restarted Tomcat via Plesk's 'Services Management'. However:
1. This does NOT have any effect at all: the Java apps are still being served from the .war file
2. Furthermore, restarting Tomcat via the 'Java applications for domain' section in Plesk RESETS the settings in server.xml to "unpackWARs='false'" again.

My question thus is: how can Plesk be made to unpack .war files, as this is crucial for our webapps?

Thanks for any reaction,

Ron Van den Branden

PS: I can confirm that the .war unpacking is the key to the problems reported. Investigating this issue, I manually unpacked a .war archive to its own directory in tomcat5.5/psa-webapps, made sure server.xml read "unpackWARs='true'", restarted Tomcat via Plesk's 'Services Management', et voila: everything worked as it should. Until a Tomcat restart via the 'Java applications for domain' section in Plesk reset that value. But of course, I don't expect this manual hussle is the 'control' intended by the Plesk Parallels Panel.

Hi,
I am running into the same problem with a WAR. Did you get a resolution to your problem?
Can you please share your solution?
Thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately, no resolution back then. I created a ticket (#747580, don't know if it is publicly accessible), which has been closed on following bottom line:

"I am afraid that currently there is no way - unpackWARs is hardcoded to "no" in Plesk. We already have request submitted to our development regarding possibility to use unpacked .war archives
[...]
At this point we have no ETA on availability of this feature. Please watch for new releases at our website at http://www.parallels.com "

From your question, I gather this hasn't changed in the meantime (I didn't see any mention in http://www.parallels.com/r/pdfs/Plesk/parallels_plesk_panel95_whatsnew.pdf). Therefore, I abandoned Plesk's Tomcat (one of the main incentives for choosing the Plesk Power Pack from my provider, though) and am now happily rolling my own Tomcat independently of Plesk, which provides much more control. Of course, this is only an option if you have access to a dedicated server. If you do, you might benefit from the instructions in http://oreilly.com/catalog/tomcat/chapter/ch06.pdf and http://radioae6rt.wordpress.com/2006/04/22/chrooting-tomcat/.

Hth,

Ron

I can see looking at other threats that this is an issue with plesk. Fortunately, I have access to the server. I have manually unpack the WAR. My application is working now; I read that in another threat and it works for me at least for now.

I myself too bought the upgrade license for the convinience to have all the control in Plesk's IU, talking about false advertisement.

This is more a hack than a solution. Thank you for your feedback

Ah yes, I remember having tried that as well:
1. setting "unpackWARs=true" in Tomcat's server.xml file
2. manually unpacking the .war file
3. restarting Tomcat
If I recall correctly, it seemed to work with one catch: restarting Java applications via the 'switch off/switch on' control in Plesk's "Java application manager" appeared to overwrite the "unpackWARs=true" value to "false" again. Don't know the effect of restarting the entire server, but you'll probably have to keep in mind to change this setting in server.xml each time in such sitations.

Kind regards,

Ron

Do you have a GUIDE to install "power pack"?
I have searched in all forums I could find. I attacked the help inside Plesk Power/Virtuoso panel and nowhere is a guide for installing this.... The word tomcat I don't even find one help topic trully regarding Tomcat.... only trouble reported. Should I just ditch my "power pack" on the grounds there is no manual available?

Or are there is there a secret community who holds that valuable plesk info.

I can install and configure tomcat via SSH but I need a newb management tool so there I am trying to get "power pack" to work managed from Plesk...... Please point me to a comprehensible guide of what I need to check / have available / install.......

Also on my quest I encountered white screen
"Request-URI Too Large

The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.
Apache Server at ****.*****.*** Port 4643"
on trying to add pp10-tomcat as application via Application management.... No info on this either....

Sloppy to trow this on the screen to say the least.

Hi Marco,

Well, unfortunately I don't have any experience with installing the Power Pack: all Plesk installation has been done by our hosting provider. You'll probably have had a look at the documentation page?

Actually, Tomcat was the sole reason we used the Power Pack for, but the way it is configured in Plesk made it useless to us (see start of this thread). I've just set up a standalone Tomcat in chroot jail, fronted with Plesk's Apache server. I should check if the power pack was included in our hosting package; otherwise I'd ditch it for sure.

Just thinking aloud - if you could use Tomcat's Webapp Manager application as frontend interface, you could forget about the Power Pack (if that's the sole reason for considering it)?

Sorry, can't help at all with the "Request-URI Too Large" error.

Kind regards,

Ron

tnx for the reply.

Yes for me too : tomcat only reason for Power pack.
I liked the manageble from plesk bit. Also figured I could set JVM settings and such....RAM and so on.

Now they have finally installed it there. Still big issue getting it available on the domains.....Grrrr.

I wanted to also have it running as a service which is start and stopable without me having to SSH
.... Isn't this silly -> no docs :-(

I keep at it for a bit.....
or otherwise it's back to command line I guess.

My less textual colleagues are gone have a hard time if I have too go manual.

Back