• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Two local backup copies on the disk when local and remote are requested?

jrm_at_plesk

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9.2009 (MediaTemple)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.50 Update #2, last updated on Feb 28, 2023 07:03 PM
I have my site's backups set up so that I keep a scheduled local and remote (Google Drive) copy -- full backup every week, incrementals in between. This is working: if I go to Tools and Settings > Backup Manager after a full backup, and both are there, one with a Google Drive logo. This is exactly what I would expect, except that, if I go into the shell and look at the actual backup storage (/var/lib/psa/dumps/domains/example.com), there are two copies of the backup that are virtually identical, taking up a good chunk of my disk space.

If I click into the two backups in Backup Manager, the entry for the local copy offers a "Download" link, while the entry for the remote copy offers "Download" and "Copy to Server Storage". Again, this makes sense, but then why is there the second physical copy already in server storage? Am I misunderstanding or misconfiguring something? T

Not sure why there are two copies. While a remote backup is created I think it is correct that on local storage the data is temporarily stored, but it should be removed once transferred to the remote target. Does this happen with all your backups?

The additional entries seem to be volumes of a multi-volume backup. Do you have the multi-volume option checked?

The additional entries seem to be volumes of a multi-volume backup. Do you have the multi-volume option checked?

The multi-volume has been enabled, but the point is "why the backup is written on local disk when customer has the only option to create remote backup on his hosting plan?"

Backup with yellow box are OK (remote backups on Scaleway S3 object storage) , backups without yellow box are on local disk and they bring a production Plesk near to an outage.

They may be written to local disk, because this is what has been configured. You can do remote backups, local backups and remote+local backups. Local copies will also stay on disk when the remote storage delivered a fail whens storing the backup to the remote location.

I suggest to ask for individual assistance by opening a Plesk support ticket, so that an engineer can check it directly on your server. It needs a hands-on check, because just by some icons on a GUI it won't be possible to tell what's going on.

Not sure why there are two copies. While a remote backup is created I think it is correct that on local storage the data is temporarily stored, but it should be removed once transferred to the remote target. Does this happen with all your backups?

Ok, the issue is quite strange because local and remote copy seems to be written at the very same time, and the hosting plan for the customer explicitly disallow the use of local storage

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 19.16.14.png

Back