• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Two Plesk Servers for master and slave DNS together

Iñaki López

New Pleskian
Hi all!,

I run two Plesk Servers with Onyx version. I am trying to configure them to use the other server as slave DNS server using Plesk Extension Slave DNS Manager.

I installed Slave DNS Manager extension on both servers, but before I start making changes, I want to know if someone did this and worked well.

So, two Plesk servers S1 and S2.
S1 has 30 domains, S2 none.
Slave DNS Manager extension installed on both.
Should I configure the extension on S1 and make the suggested changes on S2 to use it as slave DNS server for S1?.
Should I do the same in the other way?.

Thanks for your answers!.

That's not a good idea. A slave dns server should not be a Plesk server. Otherwise you get problems with the migration toolkit. You need two secondary DNS servers, for example two virtual servers you can already rent for 4 € per machine. If you have configured these correctly, you can add as many servers as you want. I advise you however to a hidden primary configuration. So without the plesk slave-dns manager.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hi @B4c4rd1,

thanks for reply :)

That the reason I was asking, I tried to configure the servers but I cannot do it if I don´t modify the default named.conf file that is going to be rewritted by Plesk in some moment... so I will try to use a simple and clean server to use as DNS server.

What about the "hidden primary configuration" you advised me?, can you explain this?.

Thanks again!

That's not a good idea. A slave dns server should not be a Plesk server. Otherwise you get problems with the migration toolkit. You need two secondary DNS servers, for example two virtual servers you can already rent for 4 € per machine. If you have configured these correctly, you can add as many servers as you want. I advise you however to a hidden primary configuration. So without the plesk slave-dns manager.

I wonder what kind of problems you're referring to.
I have 1 Plesk server on which I installed bind and configured it as a slave DNS.
Plesk is installed without DNS support.

I'm running such a setup for years and never had any indication of problems with the migration tool we had a few years ago nor the new migration tool we have now. Nor was I ever expecting any problems. Plesk is not aware of the DNS-server it is running, nor of all the other services I'm running on that server. Plesk is a shell, not an Operating System. It's still a Linux server.

Because I chose bind and Plesk is also using Bind when managing a DNS-server it could potentially mess with the configuration. This would be an error of Plesk, as I have turned off DNS support there. I have no indication that Plesk is making any errors regarding DNS-management if it is turned off.

Turning on DNS-support in Plesk could of course ruin your own DNS-setup, but that would be just stupid to do.

Last edited:
Hi @mr-wolf

thanks for your Reply.

Actually, I have not written that there is a common problem with Plesk and Bind.

The thread creator asked if someone has experience with the plugin for Plesk: Slave DNS Manager - Plesk Extensions

This should not be used with two Plesk servers. For this you have to understand what the plugin actually does. Above all, the plugin causes an error in the bind9 dns service, which makes the DNS service useless, for example if you migrate a domain from one server to another server where the plugin was installed.

Here comes to double entries which is not provided with Bind9.

In addition, I had described superficially how to use the plugin and what alternatives there are. Basically the plugin is a great idea. You should make the following customization to the plugin: Input - Slave DNS Manager - Add new option -clean

But only if one requires managed its own DNS server that does not own domains. There the domains are managed by plesk slave dns manager. Here one has however another problem. Anyone can find out who is the primary dns server from the outside. To prevent this, you should leave the plugin away and configure a hidden primary. If you make a request from the outside with the command dig, then the DNS server is output as the primary server and not the hidden primary server.

Very helpful, for example, to reduce the traffic.

But you are right. My answer was not precise. It can of course use a secondary server as dns-server with the plugin.

The following configuration works:

Plesk Server 1: manages its own domains (plugin installed)
Server 2: does not manage its own domains (DNS servers)
Server 3: does not manage its own domains (backup DNS server)

Or:

Plesk Server 1-99: manages its own domains (plugin installed)
Server 100: does not manage its own domains (DNS servers)
Server 101: does not manage its own domains (backup DNS server)

However, what does not work:

Plesk Server 1: manages its own domains (plugin installed -> target server 2)
Plesk Server 2: manages its own domains (plugin installed -> target server 1)

Or:

Plesk Server 1: manages its own domains (plugin installed -> target server 2)
Plesk Server 2: manages its own domains (plugin not installed)*
* When you migrate domains from server 2 to server 1 with Plesk migrator!

I hope I could answer the question with some examples.

Last edited:
Back