• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question TXT and SOA DNS records not propagating

steveb

New Pleskian
4 days ago I decided to start using PLESK's DNS server as the primary name server for my DNS Zone and domain climatestore.com. I added new TXT records, to support integration with a bulk Email provider, to the the zone and 'updated' them.

I then tested if they were 'visible' using the 'dig' command when pointing to the domain's IP address. I can see all the records that were entered and assume this is a positive result.

-bash-4.2$ dig +short climatestore.com @38.242.18.62 ANY
10 mail.climatestore.com.
"v=spf1 include:spf.sendinblue.com mx ~all"
"v=DMARC1\; p=none\; sp=none\; rua=mailto:[email protected]!10m\; ruf=mailto: [email protected]!10m\; rf=afrf\; pct=100\; ri=86400"
"v=spf1 +a +mx +a:al.climatestore.net include:spf.sendinblue.com -all"
"Sendinblue-code:938d7742aa57d2204ebea684ccd7d04d"
"google-site-verification=8DqmKcAa1V-lcxz-jv_P4v-VLNHDXDObhoz0ha6QExk"
"testrecord"
ns1.climatestore.com. steve.climatestore.com. 2017021010 10800 3600 604800 10800
ns1.climatestore.com.
ns2.climatestore.com.​

I then went to my registrar for the domain (fatcow.com) and added two new NS records. NS1.climatestore.com and NS2.climatestore.com. And they propagated - but not completely. Which you can see here.

https://www.whatsmydns.net/#NS/climatestore.com

I can also ping the NS1.climatestore.com from outside the locahost and it resolves to the correct IP address (38.242.18.62).

The issue is none of the actual TXT records from NS1.climatestore.com zone are propagating fully (it's been 4 days). And oddly, when i add a test TXT record for climatestore.com to the old fatcow.com zone (NS1.fatcow.com), it propagates in minutes!

Also, i'm not sure if this is related, but the only SOA record that has propagated (after 4 days) is from fatcow, which you can see here.
https://www.whatsmydns.net/#SOA/climatestore.com

I tried the $ dig +trace climatestore.com command and root server query returns...
;; Received 868 bytes from 192.112.36.4#53(g.root-servers.net) in 256 ms
climatestore.com. 172800 IN NS ns1.fatcow.com.
climatestore.com. 172800 IN NS ns2.fatcow.com.​

I'm not sure if this is an example of the ns1.climatestore.com not propagating or perhaps this is correct because they are the 'registrar'

I'm stuck and not an expert at this. Why aren't my TXT and SOA DNS records propagating from my new domain faster and completely? It's been 4 days. Yet when i add a new TXT record to the fatcow zone, it propagates in minutes. Thoughts on how to proceed are greatly appreciated.

I'm using PLESK Web Admin Edition v. 17.0.17 on a LAMP stack.

Last edited:
4 days ago I decided to start using PLESK's DNS server as the primary name server for my DNS Zone and domain climatestore.com. I added new TXT records, to support integration with a bulk Email provider, to the the zone and 'updated' them.

I then tested if they were 'visible' using the 'dig' command when pointing to the domain's IP address. I can see all the records that were entered and assume this is a positive result.

-bash-4.2$ dig +short climatestore.com @38.242.18.62 ANY
10 mail.climatestore.com.
"v=spf1 include:spf.sendinblue.com mx ~all"
"v=DMARC1\; p=none\; sp=none\; rua=mailto:[email protected]!10m\; ruf=mailto: [email protected]!10m\; rf=afrf\; pct=100\; ri=86400"
"v=spf1 +a +mx +a:al.climatestore.net include:spf.sendinblue.com -all"
"Sendinblue-code:938d7742aa57d2204ebea684ccd7d04d"
"google-site-verification=8DqmKcAa1V-lcxz-jv_P4v-VLNHDXDObhoz0ha6QExk"
"testrecord"
ns1.climatestore.com. steve.climatestore.com. 2017021010 10800 3600 604800 10800
ns1.climatestore.com.
ns2.climatestore.com.​

I then went to my registrar for the domain (fatcow.com) and added two new NS records. NS1.climatestore.com and NS2.climatestore.com. And they propagated - but not completely. Which you can see here.

https://www.whatsmydns.net/#NS/climatestore.com

I can also ping the NS1.climatestore.com from outside the locahost and it resolves to the correct IP address (38.242.18.62).

The issue is none of the actual TXT records from NS1.climatestore.com zone are propagating fully (it's been 4 days). And oddly, when i add a test TXT record for climatestore.com to the old fatcow.com zone (NS1.fatcow.com), it propagates in minutes!

Also, i'm not sure if this is related, but the only SOA record that has propagated (after 4 days) is from fatcow, which you can see here.
https://www.whatsmydns.net/#SOA/climatestore.com

I tried the $ dig +trace climatestore.com command and root server query returns...
;; Received 868 bytes from 192.112.36.4#53(g.root-servers.net) in 256 ms
climatestore.com. 172800 IN NS ns1.fatcow.com.
climatestore.com. 172800 IN NS ns2.fatcow.com.​

I'm not sure if this is an example of the ns1.climatestore.com not propagating or perhaps this is correct because they are the 'registrar'

I'm stuck and not an expert at this. Why aren't my TXT and SOA DNS records propagating from my new domain faster and completely? It's been 4 days. Yet when i add a new TXT record to the fatcow zone, it propagates in minutes. Thoughts on how to proceed are greatly appreciated.

I'm using PLESK Web Admin Edition v. 17.0.17 on a LAMP stack.

hi change again DNS server from your accont on fatcow registrar
ns1 + IP indicator (Ip from your server/Plesk)
ns2 + IP indicator (Ip from your server/Plesk)

On plesk panel goes: parameters -> dns template -> SOA template
config-plesk-dns.JPG

alexonb,

Just to be clear, which of these is the correct way to update the DNS entry for fatcow?

A)

NS1.climatestore.com
NS2.climatestore.com

or,

B)

NS1.ipaddressofmyserver
NS2.ipaddressofmyserver

And should change the SOA record before making these changes?

merci/thanks!

alexonb,

Just to be clear, which of these is the correct way to update the DNS entry for fatcow?

A)

NS1.climatestore.com
NS2.climatestore.com

or,

B)

NS1.ipaddressofmyserver
NS2.ipaddressofmyserver

And should change the SOA record before making these changes?

merci/thanks!
hi A) and not forget pointing own ip this 'ns' DNS to 'a' DNS: add "NS1 DNS A <ip>" | "NS2 DNS A <ip>"

Back