• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Type of connection imap: SSL / TLS or simple?

Erwan

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

Is there a way to know in maillog if email clients connect in SSL / TLS or in clear?
Thanks a lot.

Erwan

I think i've found...

WITH
imap-login: Login: user=<test@xxxx>, method=DIGEST-MD5, rip=x.x.x.x, lip=x.x.x.x, mpid=31268, TLS, session=<RzILzN1llsMCDqLD
NOT WITH
imap-login: Login: user=<test@xxxx>, method=DIGEST-MD5, rip=x.x.x.x, lip=x.x.x.x, mpid=31268, session=<RzILzN1llsMCDqLD

I've also:

imap-login: Login: user=<test@xxxx>, method=DIGEST-MD5, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=32451, secured, session=<b/Ii/91lsKZ/AAAB

What's the difference between "TLS" and "secured"?

Hi Erwan,

Congratulations for finding out the answers yourself AND posting them here. Some post nothing or "never mind, I found it!".

I think (half speculating here) that secured means an SSL-connection.
An SSL-connection is a connection that starts completely secured on TCP-level no actual communication is done before the line is secure.
A TLS-connection starts insecure and then negotiates a secure connection.

An IMAP-SSL connection is port 993 an IMAP-TLS connection is at port 143.

Last edited:
Back