• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Ubuntu 14 -> 16 failed

ferhan1992

New Pleskian
Hey Community,
this morning i upgraded plesk from 12.5 to 17 and it worked perfectly.
Due to the fact that plesk 17 supports Ubuntu 16 i also wanted to perform
an upgrade here.

So I followed following procedure:
https://kb.plesk.com/en/126808 and runned the command:

# /opt/psa/bin/distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16.x64.sh

The script worked fine and the restart was done. After the restart i restartet the script, as it is told to in the kb article.
It worked for about 10-15 Minutes until following message showed up and the script stopped:

/opt/psa/bin/distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16.x64.sh: line 2205: /opt/psa/bin/distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16_post.x64.sh: No such file or directory

I am not able to connect to the plesk panel. The status of plesk on my server is:

● psa.service - LSB: Plesk Interface and Utilities
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/psa; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: resources) since Mi 2016-11-16 12:43:53 CET; 9s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 17256 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/psa start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Nov 16 12:43:52 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de psa[17256]: Starting named service... already started
Nov 16 12:43:52 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de psa[17256]: Starting mailer service... already started
Nov 16 12:43:53 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de psa[17256]: Starting spamfilter service... not installed
Nov 16 12:43:53 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de psa[17256]: Starting tomcat service... not installed
Nov 16 12:43:53 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de psa[17256]: Starting apache service... already started
Nov 16 12:43:53 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de psa[17256]: Starting xinetd service... already started
Nov 16 12:43:53 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de systemd[1]: psa.service: PID file /var/lib/sw-cp-server.pid not readable (yet?) after start: No such file or directory
Nov 16 12:43:53 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Plesk Interface and Utilities.
Nov 16 12:43:53 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de systemd[1]: psa.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 16 12:43:53 kaesekuchen.kaplanseren.de systemd[1]: psa.service: Failed with result 'resources'.

Does anybody has a solution? or maybe can upload the missing "post" installation script?

Thanks!

Regards,
Ferhan

Missing /opt/psa/bin/distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16_post.x64.sh means plesk-core package was not upgraded during the dist-upgrade process. Check dist-upgrade logs for errors. The script should have told you the log path, if not, check /var/log/plesk/install/plesk-distupgrade.log.

Hey,
thanks for you help!
i looked up the logfile and found following lines near the end:

N: Ignoring file '50unattended-upgrades.ucf-dist' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
This message also appears everytime i do "apt-get update"

More Important might be following lines:
/usr/bin/sw-engine: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/sw-engine: undefined symbol: _ZNK3APS4Meta14ScreenshotInfo4pathB5cxx11Ev

Detecting installed product components.

Some of essential Plesk components are not upgraded: panel

You may either upgrade them manually upgrade them or rerun utility with option --skip-check-latest

Some error during dist-upgrade post stage occurs.

So i checked https://kb.plesk.com/de/118383 and found out following information:

ii libaps 1.0.8-ubuntu14.04.798670.16071418 amd64 APS Controller shared library
ii sw-engine 2.20.1-ubuntu1604.201610281258 amd64 Plesk panel interpreter

ii sw-engine-cli-2.20 2.20.1-ubuntu1604.201610281258 amd64 Plesk panel interpreter for installation/upgrade purposes

As far as i can see, there is a conflict because libaps is 1.0.8-ubuntu14 and sw-engine is 2.20.1-ubuntu1604
So i searched for the right libaps version for 16.06 but i am not able to find it under http://autoinstall.plesk.com/PSA_17.0.17/dist-deb-Ubuntu-16.04-x86_64/contrib/

Hi ferhan1992,

it is always helpfull, to read ( and understand ) informations from your command line.

"N: Ignoring file '50unattended-upgrades.ucf-dist' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension"

N: => NOTICE = information ... nothing more, nothing less.

If such a file exists "50unattended-upgrades.ucf-dist" at "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/", it means, that there is a NEW configuration file, which you should consider to use, instead of the old one. Inspect your folder "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/" and you will notice, that there is already a file called "50unattended-upgrades", which you could replace with the NEW "50unattended-upgrades.ucf-dist" - file. Pls. note, that files with endings like "*.ufc-dist" are ignored by apt/aptitude and you will always receive such informations, if this folder contains configuration files, which are ignored. ;)

The corresponding "libaps" - deb for Ubuntu 16.04 is located at "http://autoinstall.plesk.com/PSA_17.0.17/dist-deb-Ubuntu-16.04-x86_64/engine/".

But I really would like to point you to the fact, that you have an UNFINISHED upgrade... which should be finished with example commands as:

apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

or

apt-get clean
apt-get update
aptitude upgrade

Pls. make sure, that your sources.lists at "/etc/apt" ( and it's folders!!! ) are UP-TO-DATE and contain no more "trusty" - definitions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer.

Following steps were helpful to get back everything to work:

- Replaced the 50unattended-upgrades file as you told me
- Removed the old libaps with "dpkg --purge --force-depends libaps", downloaded the correct version and installed it with dpkg.
- Checked and corrected all sources in "/etc/apt/sources.list" and the files in the subfolder "/etc/apt/sources.list.de/*" from "trusty" to "xenial"
- I had to start the plesk-installer to load the fresh "50sw_autoinstaller.list" but quit the installation process in the module choose menu.
- Finally I did following:
apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get autoremove

After all those steps i were finally able to get into my Plesk Panel, but I had a Problem with opening my hosted Websites.
Finally I was able to figure out, that I had to enable the option "dir" in Apache Settings (via Plesk Panel)
Now everything works like a charm!

Thanks!!

I'd like to point out that https://kb.plesk.com/en/126808 specificly says "Applies to: Plesk 12.5 for Linux". It also explicitly states that Plesk 12.5 does not support Ubuntu 16.04.

There is however an other article here: https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/17.0/a...ver-administration/distupgrade-support.74627/ that kind of gives the same information, but also 'applies to' Plesk Onyx.

However, this article tells you to run distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16_pre.sh instead of distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16.x64.sh. Mind you that both these scripts are available in this folder.

So, which is it?

Both are failing for me by the way. They look like the script stalls with output:
To activate the new configuration, you need to run:
service apache2 restart
dir on​

But after pressing enter or something, it says:
WARNING: The following essential module will be disabled.
This might result in unexpected behavior and should NOT be done
unless you know exactly what you are doing!
dir
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!' or retry by passing '-f': Aborting​

After a whole lot of action the update fails completly. I'll post some logs later but I'd like to know which script are we supposed to run?

_pre and _post scripts are for the case when user runs apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade manually between them. The other script will automate the process completely, effectively running _pre, then dist-upgrade, then _post script. For dist-upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04 we usually recommend the latter, but you may use the former as well.

Allright, thanks for clearing that up. You might want to include this info in your documentation. ;)

I'll try the upgrade to 16.04 again soon and post back in a new thread if i run into anything odd.

Back