• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Ubuntu 16.04 ( official final release date: April 21st 2016 )

U

UFHH01

@ Plesk - Team:

I'm pretty sure, that Plesk software will be supported with the upcoming Ubuntu 16.04 LTS version ( official final release date: April 21st 2016 ) - can you confirm that?

And IF this can be confirmed from official site,

... WHICH Plesk versions will be supported?
... is there probably any ETA planned for it?​

Hi, the new Ubuntu version will definitely be supported in the next Plesk release, later this year.
Older versions will continue supporting their initial set of OSes

... oh... do I interpret this correctly, that "later this year" means, that it will take longer than 1-2 weeks after the 16.04-final-release? If you don't have a specific ETA, I'm fine with that, but I'm planning to upgrade quite a few servers ( with and without Plesk ) and it would really help to know at least a month in 2016 ( or if not possible to declare that, one of the four quarters ).

Yes, it will probably take longer. September-October maybe.

Out of curiosity, what is pushing you to Ubuntu 16?

Hi Sergey L,

in general it's a question of being "up-to-date" for the customers ( who always ask for the latest, in their opinion "best" release, even if unprooved ) and with this release in special, the support for "ZFS file system" was added, which really boosts your system when I tested it. Another reason is the faster kernel ( up to 36 percent faster in our longterm-tests ) and Phyton 3 base.

... oh... do I interpret this correctly, that "later this year" means, that it will take longer than 1-2 weeks after the 16.04-final-release? If you don't have a specific ETA, I'm fine with that, but I'm planning to upgrade quite a few servers ( with and without Plesk ) and it would really help to know at least a month in 2016 ( or if not possible to declare that, one of the four quarters ).

Is it possible to UPGRADE from 14 to 16?

Hi Kingsley,

Is it possible to UPGRADE from 14 to 16?

actually... I already upgraded 10 servers from 14.04 to 16.04 ( WITH working Plesk on "Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (development branch)‬" - "12.5.30 Update #27, zuletzt aktualisiert: 1. April 2016 13:57:27" ) and they are running fast and smooth.
The only disadvantage at the moment is, that you have to convert several upstart-jobs ( Ubuntu 16.04 comes with systemd ).
Fail2ban doesn't work very good with Ubuntu 16.04 at the moment, but with a bit tweaking, I hope to get this solved as well.
Some Plesk script doesn't work as expected with Ubuntu 16.04 and sometimes you have to have to manually kill some processes.
Plesk upgrades have to be done manually with the option string "--override-os-version 14.04", because of the unsupported operating system and last, there are issues with the "service psa", due to incompatible parameters; so you have to start some services manually instead of checking and restarting it with the "service psa".

So far not really bad news, I think and nothing which can't be solved with some automated cronjobs. :p

@UFHH01

Same results here, an OS upgrade to 16.04 (Beta 2) is manageable.

With respect to the Fail2Ban issue: can you compare the issues to the (common) issues that are present on a Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS based Plesk instance?

I noticed that the Fail2Ban in the Plesk 12.5.30 version has some issues with ..... well, simply said, many things that should be working out-of-the-box.

Regards........

Hi Kingsley,

actually... I already upgraded 10 servers from 14.04 to 16.04 ( WITH working Plesk on "Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (development branch)‬" - "12.5.30 Update #27, zuletzt aktualisiert: 1. April 2016 13:57:27" ) and they are running fast and smooth.
The only disadvantage at the moment is, that you have to convert several upstart-jobs ( Ubuntu 16.04 comes with systemd ).
Fail2ban doesn't work very good with Ubuntu 16.04 at the moment, but with a bit tweaking, I hope to get this solved as well.
Some Plesk script doesn't work as expected with Ubuntu 16.04 and sometimes you have to have to manually kill some processes.
Plesk upgrades have to be done manually with the option string "--override-os-version 14.04", because of the unsupported operating system and last, there are issues with the "service psa", due to incompatible parameters; so you have to start some services manually instead of checking and restarting it with the "service psa".

So far not really bad news, I think and nothing which can't be solved with some automated cronjobs. :p

Am waiting for OFFICIAL RELEASE. just wanted to know if it's possible so instead of bringing down my ubuntu 14 server i can just upgrade when plesk starts supporting it

Why does it take so long to support Ubuntu 16.04 LTS ?! The Beta was available a very long time. Now you neeed until Semptember or October? It was very clear, that your customers would like to change to the new LTS Ubuntu. 14.04 is 2 years old. Kernel was 3.13 instead of 4.4 in Ubuntu 16.04. Apache is more than 27% faster delivering static webpages. 16.04 is Python 3 based has ZFS Support and very many updated Packages (Open vSwitch, Nginx, docker, gcc, libvirt etc.) There is absolutely no reason why someone should want to stay on 14.04 with Kernel 3.13. The only reason is to wait for the sleeping plesk-team. It's always the same with you guys. I'll not wait until fall to update and remove your unsupported piece of software.

The Beta was available a very long time
We never support alpha or beta versions of third-party software in Plesk. We support only officially released versions.
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS will be supported mandatory.

There is absolutely no reason why someone should want to stay on 14.04 with Kernel 3.13.

Are you sure? Install a new copy of Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS and you'll have 4.2.0.27!
Run...

Code:
# apt-get install linux-image-4.2.0-27-generic

to upgrade.

You can list all versions available for 14.04 by running...
Code:
# apt-cache search linux-image

Anyway, I just thought I'd point that out.
Regards

Lloyd

Back