• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Ubuntu 18.04 Lightsail Image Coming?

Mark Bailey

Basic Pleskian
It's great that there is a Plesk image on Lightsail, but I am concerned that it's Ubuntu 16.04, which has limited life left (despite its LTS status...much of its time has already passed).

Will there be an 18.04 image available soon on Lightsail?

Or is it possible to install the image and update Ubuntu to 18.04? I didn't know if there were any gotchas there.

Thank you.

Hi Mark Bailey,

Will there be an 18.04 image available soon on Lightsail?
Yes, we plan it, I can say that it will be in this year but I don't have exact ETA.

I also checked a few different images in Lightsail Catalog, currently, they use Ubuntu 16.04 too.

Or is it possible to install the image and update Ubuntu to 18.04? I didn't know if there were any gotchas there.
I also can say that I updated my own Lightsail instance with Plesk 17.8.11 from Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 18.04, and then from Plesk 17.8.11 to Plesk 17.9 Preview #10 last weekend. It is my test server (and it is not a production server but I had a few backups anyway :)), I faced with some issues but fixed them; I can't suggest you do the same but it is possible.

Back