• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Ubuntu 18 -> 20 how to test upgrade properly

Bernben

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade a Plesk installation on an Ubuntu 18.04 server with Product version: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.52.3 to Ubuntu 20.04. To ensure a smooth upgrade process without risking any issues on the production server, I plan to create a clone of the Plesk installation along with all the data and then perform the upgrade on the clone.

My main concern is whether I can use a free trial license for the cloned server and restore the full backup file. However, I'm worried that this action might cause problems on the production server if the license information is imported to the clone.
To proceed, I will test the cloned server by modifying the local Hosts file for testing some domains.(Of course ther are no SSL certificates during the testing phase.)

With this guide i would export/import the backup:

And the Upgrade from Ubuntu with:
(Except the Major DB upgrade, since it is already on a higher Version than default)

Let me know if you have any suggestions or advice regarding this process or information to potential issues with my proceedings
and of course my main concern, if i might get troubles with the plesk license

Back