• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Ubuntu 18 > 20 plus Server Migration advice

tlatch52

New Pleskian
Currently I'm running the latest Plesk obsidian with about 12 sites/domains on an Ubuntu 18 DigitalOcean Premium Intel droplet.

What I'd like to do is switch to a Premium AMD droplet because they run WordPress better for the same price. I'd also like to use this time to Upgrade to Ubuntu 20. I've found articles for upgrading/changing these 2 things, but I'm not really sure about the easiest way to do both at the same time.

1. The droplet migration part is fairly simple - besides the DNS changes I'm going to have to make and test and how that relates to plesk.

2. The Ubuntu part seems straightforward but somewhat complex. I always remember doing clean installs for any desktop versions of Ubuntu I used in the past as it was the recommendation.

I'm wondering if you all think I'd be better off just spinning up a new Ubuntu 20 droplet/server and migrating the 12 sites individually or via Plesk somehow? Considering I have to spin up a new server anyways... Just trying to wrap my head around this.

PS: Do you all use IPV6 records in your DNS in addition to the IPV4 records? I noticed in Plesk the IPV6 address is the same for all 12 sites, but Plesk says it's a dedicated IP address, even though it seems like a shared address.

Thanks,

How Should You Prepare for Your Server Migration?
1. Determine which Migrant Servers exist. It's extremely likely that you won't need to move all of your servers.
2. Determine whatever Migrant Programs are available. Check your programmes for compatibility if you're switching from a 32-bit to a 64-bit OS.
3. Minimize the dangers.
4. Make a rollback strategy.
5. Make a plan for how you'll carry out your strategy.

hello @tlatch52 ,

officially Plesk support in-place dist-upgrade procedure from ubt18 to ubt20,
please see this article.

however, this is really complex way and you probably will have to reach support to solve problems and difficulties that may appear.

as an alternative way we'd offer a migration way.
in two words it looks like you make a full backup of your domains at source server and restore it at the destination server.

all settings related to Plesk will be save in this case.

usually migration spend less time an require less experience.

Back